I'm trying...again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After much failed Gainclone experiments, I gave up.

And now, I'm trying again. But this time, I'm going to pay a college student to fix my PCB designs so that they actually work. (Yay!)

Anyway, I was thinking that it might make sense to build an amplifier especially for the ZaphAudio B3-S based speakers. A LM3875 (roughly 25-30 watts) should be plenty of power, and I was intending to add a woofer with a seperate amplifier, so that's not going to be an issue.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how good/bad an idea it is to put the notch filter before, instead of after, the amplifier? This would cut down on costs, and should work like an active crossover.

Also, can anyone reccomend a good way to get a single woofer signal from two speaker inputs?

AFAIK, the notch filter would have to be designed differently. It is before a much higher impedance load, so for a standard LRC filter, you'd apparently need a HUGE inductor. Smaller caps though :)

There are "line level crossover" designs floating around the internet though, that seem to address this.

I'm no expert! Consider these as mildly dubious hints. I was just randomly checking similar things out when doing research for a Cyburgs Needle build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.