Possible FE-103s in RS Minimus 18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for info on Minimus -2's when i found this pic at an eBay auction for some Minumus 18s. The Pic is quite clear where you can see the outline of the speakers and they look alot like the FE-103. Did RS use this formidable driver more than we might have thought?

Attachments

• possible fostex.jpg
    possible fostex.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 532
Hi Scioneer,

My daughter has some of these for her mini surround system. I found them in a second hand store.

RS did sell rebranded FE103's in Australia. I got 8, had fun and blew them up when I was younger.

The drivers are very similar but have smaller magnets. The bass in this enclosure is on the boomy side but quite pleasant at low levels.

Before posting I asked my daughter (almost 14) to comment on the sound quality. She said "I don't know about these things...they work and sound comes out."

Not every one shares our enthusiasm for the simplicity of a single widerange driver in a small enclosure.

I think they are very pleasant sounding.

Regards Philip

i remember someone gave me 4 of that little cube speaker included with the Minimus 18s when I was 15 ( with my first Philco 222k btw) and i used them in series on each channel as sort of a cheap Direct/Reflect system. They sounded good, though not much improvement in bass( as opposed to the stock speakers on the 222k). Still they served me well when i blew the 222k's speakers and needed a set to replace the blown set. The 3 inchers in them were the toughest 3 inch speakers i've seen.

so it seems the Minimus 18s have look alikes with smaller magnets instead of the FE-103/RS 1197.

I've encountered look-a-likes when searching for my favorite 4 incher.

The Durabrand DB4 looks just like the Linear Reasearch 4's i have, but sound nothing like the LRs. The suspension is stiffer, the whizzer is thin and flappy, etc.

i've been buying these at thrift stores, just to see whats inside-

another habit, i don't need, yet safer than smoking, drinking,

chasing pros-ti-toots, driving drunk, shooting dope, fist-fighting

the police, making threats in crowded bars (at the hole crowd)...

post some pics maybe?

well my first campaign in my own personal hunt for the Red Octob..... er, FE-103 was a failure. There's currently NO FE-103s at the Tallahassee Flea-Market. :whazzat:

Next I'm going to search Pawn Shops and Thrift/Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. Also when a few yard sales pop up, I'm checking them out.

I actually had a RS 1197 a looooong time ago that I now can't find anywhere :xeye:

The search for the Titani...... er, FE-103 continues......

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are a huge number of drivers that fit the form-factor of the FE103 ... and from many OEMs. Radio Shack used at least a half dozen different ones including a version of the FE103A.

PS: i'm pretty sure i know where there is a stash of 40-1197s in Atlanta.... i probably have 8 or so left (+ another 8 in BD-Pipes)

dave

Atlanta is a bit far from here. I'll have to go after I sell a computer, but I might could make it a Daytrip ( there and back).

However I might also try a few RS Franchise stores. I got lucky in Cario at the RS Franchise store there and found some more RS 8 inchers. They still have a RS 5.25 ( not THAT one, but not the crappy Boombox relacement either) a 4x10 that i've heard wasn't a bad speaker, the 3inch Tweeter/Mid with the funky tube over its magnet, and i did leave at least one 1043 8 incher ( warning, never put a 1043 in a Wall! it has way too much back pressure!)

There are a few More Franchise stores I'll try before planning a major road trip.

Franchise Stores are good about having some old stock still around since often the RS isn't their main business.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.