Designing a horn like a two way speaker ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have this question in my mind which is bugging me for a while now. Before cutting some pieces, terminating the nature and trying to figure out something by myself, I decided to go for a discussion.

Lets' say that I have a speaker unit which reaches to 150 Hz f3 (IEC) and the sensitivity is 90 dB. I am planning to build a horn for this unit but I can not receive flat response down to, say 70 or 60 Hz. Then I decide to build a horn which will work flat between 50 Hz to 150 Hz but the frequency response above 150 Hz does have some large dips and peaks. However, I see in my simulations that, the average level between 50 Hz and 150 Hz is around 93 dB and the peaks over 150 Hz can only reach up to 87 dB.

My question is, does the enclosure behave like a two way system where the mid-upper range is heard directly from the radiation from the speaker and the rest is heard from the radiation comming from the mouth. Something like the case in the figure below?

Any comments are welcomed...
/Onur

Attachments

• whatif.jpg
    whatif.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.