supraBaffles & wavelaunch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
McFaBs is offline McFaBs  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

Two questions:

First: You mentioned about round super baffle ( la TC) few posts ago, do you know any rule about size and shape considering speaker baffle width and driver diameter?

Thanks.

Ciao.Fab.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think TC's baffles were originally sized as having a diameter approximately 7in over the driver. Not sure about them now, not having measured one. I doubt it'd be worth getting too worked up over the exact radii applied, so long as it smoothly curves down. There's math in there somewhere, but whatever it is is beyond my limited ablity at this stage.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:31 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
There's math in there somewhere, but whatever it is is beyond my limited ablity at this stage.
Some match here http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/b...tep/index.html

couple that with Olson's page 23....

Click the image to open in full size.

add a dash of cosmetics, and practicality and away you go.

If you want to get fancy Svante's The Edge software is one of the better baffle modelers (unfortunatly only run's on Billy Boxes).

The important thing is that it falls away smoothly and extends back a ways. Getting it large enuff to push bafflestep loss down to where "horn" & room gain start filling stuff in is a bonus.

dave
Old 14th September 2006, 07:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Fab,

I think the extra round baffle could be quite important. It made a significant improvement

when people added one to Ron Clarkes' A166 after he included one on the A126.

He also recommends extending the trailing edge back several inches.

I would like to know what anyone thinks about making it too thick, moving the driver forward.

Any consequences to this?

Thanks, John.
Old 14th September 2006, 09:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cheers for that Dave! I really should start to use The Edge more than I have in the past.

Regarding the thickness, so long as you're not choking the rear wave, I can't see there being a problem providing it's not getting to be a silly thickness. Up to a couple of inches would be about right IMO. Might shift the centre of gravity of the enclosure forward a bit though!
Old 14th September 2006, 06:23 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by copperhead
when people added one to Ron Clarkes' A166 after he included one on the A126.
In the case of Ron's horns the suprabaffle pushes the baffle step frequency down to where the output from the horn can take over. When he 1st designed the A126 he tried to push the design to where the width of the cabinet was sufficient -- turne out that it meant too much mid coming out of the horn, and too small a CC to let the driver breath, leaving a very boxy, closed in midrange. Enlarging the CC and adding the SupraBaffle transformed the speaker.

And since it is an add-on, it behoves us to shape it in such a manner as to keep difraction effects low and to get a smooth transition from 2 pi radiation to 4 pi with as little ripple as possible.

You can use the thickness of the supraBaffle as a tool to adjust the volume of the CC ... in the case of the BIBs to compensate for the volume taken up by the drivers motor creating a more consistent line xSetcion.

From a cosmetic point of view, you can make the supraBaffle too thick and make the speaker seem to want to fall on its face.

[Click the image to open in full size.

Going to the other extreme, the supraBaffle can be pushed to the sides of the cabinet (example on the left -- the one on the right served the purpose of filling a too large hole left by an FR125 but serves the purpose of nicely removing HF edge diffraction and it does look stunning)

The flush supraBaffle is tricky to make and still not quite right cosmetically... our next ones are going to be proud of the front baffle by a thickness of material and removeable as in this rendering.

Another avenue that we have/are exploring is the supraBaffle with built-in waveguide that mounts over the driver.... (as in the attachment -- our mule RonHorn A126s)

All of these ideas can be adapted for use with the BIB.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waveguide-suprabaffles.jpg (48.1 KB, 1058 views)
Old 14th September 2006, 06:24 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The last thing you want to consider is the flat circular disk which will have nasty diffraction and high BS ripple.... in the speaker below -- as in DaveCans FE108eS BIBs -- the primary purpose was to make the space deep enuff to accomodate the speaker magnet depth.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-bk101.jpg (58.3 KB, 977 views)
Old 14th September 2006, 06:27 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

BIB supraBaffle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davecan-bib-baffle.jpg (14.3 KB, 1076 views)
Old 14th September 2006, 07:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Nice size -looks a little flat to me though?
Old 14th September 2006, 07:29 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Nice size -looks a little flat to me though?
Yes, DaveCan's could be improved by adding at least 2 layers of 3/4" to the back of the suprabaffle and taking the big rasp to the leading edge of the front and creating a large and smooth transition to the newly added trailing edges

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!