Anyone listen to Tang Band W3-1364S 3" ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
alexcd is offline alexcd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to alexcd Send a message via Yahoo to alexcd
Default Anyone listen to Tang Band W3-1364S 3" ?

I was actually interested in these for extended midrange 200-2kHz. I have reservations about anything with less than 1mm to xmax but this may not matter in this region. Has anyone listened for an extended period of time with these and care to give their opinion?
Old 17th September 2006, 06:31 PM   #2
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I too am looking into the 3" Tang Band drivers, particularly the W3-1335 titanium cones from Parts Express. I brought this subject up on the Parts Express message board, where another poster confirmed my impression: The Tang Band drivers with only 0.5mm Xmax use an underhung voice coil, but they have an air gap height of 8mm. This means that the coil they use is 7mm long. So the Tang Band 3" drivers are practically an evenhung design, which means that in practice, they can be driven to longer excursions than the linear Xmax number. They can be driven to 1.5mm excursions without an appreciable increase in harmonic distortion, and beyond that the only thing that increases is harmonic distortion.

You still want to use a subwoofer with these drivers to keep them pristine and clean. If you need something to fill in the midbass, Parts Express carries 4" and 5" subwoofers (beefier construction than most midbass drivers) with decent efficiency to match the 3" drivers, as well as long-excursion 5.25" and 6.5" subwoofers. I'm planning on building a 5.1 system for my parents, and I'm using 3" Tang Band drivers all around, and putting the two 4" subwoofers in the center channel like in the HSU Ventriloquist (but with a slight difference in the implementation and much better drive components).

All the best,

Rory

Hide this!Advertise here!