first timere needs help with choosing a speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,

I am fascinated by full range single driver speakers (horn or t-line) and modded sonic impact amps or SET amps and i want to get into the hobby. My problem is not knowing where to start. Here are the basics. I listen to a wide range of music, but i mainly listen to Rock (favorite band it TOOL) and it will be going into my bedroom with hardwood floors and about 12'x18'.

I was looking into building an enclosure for the f387e:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/87e_encl.pdf

or possibly the fe83 in an enclosure like this:
Picture_456.jpg

forgive me for being a 'noob' but i'm looking for some guidance and direction. I have a very complicated car system (2 tube amps, 1 solid state, 3 way components in the front, 4 6.5" subs in the back, active x-over, car computer) and would love to have something clean and simple for the room.

thanks in advance,

scott

Rock and full range generally don't go together well. Rock demands too much from the lows and the highs where full range is weak.

A good intro to full range speakers is the full range reference project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46934
It's easy to build, but I have to warn you that while I really like mine for acoustic rock, classical, jazz and many other types of music, I find them to be lacking for rock. You could pair them up with a subwoofer and perhaps a helper tweeter, but that's not exactly full range any more.

hm, why not do some searching for a full ranger

with a Qts near .40, apparently "perfect" for ported, easy to build enclosures. If you can do that then perhaps some decent bass and a "More rocking" set of speakers will be the outcome , just a thought (but the driver will need to be a lot bigger than a 4" one )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.