first timere needs help with choosing a speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default first timere needs help with choosing a speaker

Hello guys,

I am fascinated by full range single driver speakers (horn or t-line) and modded sonic impact amps or SET amps and i want to get into the hobby. My problem is not knowing where to start. Here are the basics. I listen to a wide range of music, but i mainly listen to Rock (favorite band it TOOL) and it will be going into my bedroom with hardwood floors and about 12'x18'.

I was looking into building an enclosure for the f387e:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...e/87e_encl.pdf

or possibly the fe83 in an enclosure like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

forgive me for being a 'noob' but i'm looking for some guidance and direction. I have a very complicated car system (2 tube amps, 1 solid state, 3 way components in the front, 4 6.5" subs in the back, active x-over, car computer) and would love to have something clean and simple for the room.

thanks in advance,

scott
Old 14th September 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

Rock and full range generally don't go together well. Rock demands too much from the lows and the highs where full range is weak.

A good intro to full range speakers is the full range reference project: diyAudio Full Range Reference Project
It's easy to build, but I have to warn you that while I really like mine for acoustic rock, classical, jazz and many other types of music, I find them to be lacking for rock. You could pair them up with a subwoofer and perhaps a helper tweeter, but that's not exactly full range any more.
Old 15th September 2006, 12:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you for your reply. i am not against adding a sub to the system if need be. I will do some more research on adding a tweeter too. at least this points me in a direction to research.
Old 15th September 2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default hm, why not do some searching for a full ranger

with a Qts near .40, apparently "perfect" for ported, easy to build enclosures. If you can do that then perhaps some decent bass and a "More rocking" set of speakers will be the outcome , just a thought (but the driver will need to be a lot bigger than a 4" one )

Hide this!Advertise here!