So much choice- FR + Bass or Coaxial in OB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2006, 12:58 PM   #1
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default So much choice- FR + Bass or Coaxial in OB?

Just cant decide on a final design, wether to go for...

A coaxial-

-Like the Silver Iris (with crossover inc)

Or to go for a Full ranger crossed to a large woofer-

-Like a fostex or simmilar crossed to a 15" woofer

And must be-

-High efficiency

-Open Baffle

-Effortless in sound

-Passive bass (so no equalisation or active bass if possible!)

suppose i have 250 for the drivers, looking for somthing with expresive midrange, but an overall live, fun and exciting sound!

help!
Old 14th September 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If those are your options, I would go with the SI.

I had hoped to do something similar to your second option. But, as I'm sure you've come to figure out, the requirements for the woofer are pretty onerous.
-- high efficiency (95db or better)
-- high qts (>1)
-- moderate fs (30-40)
-- one very large baffle
-- and, lastly, one monster coil (>20mh) to roll it off.

Not that it can't be done, but for me I decided that biamping would be too simple and straigtforward to dismiss.

Best of luck with your project.

Regards,
John
Old 14th September 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dark Star with Visaton B200 would be my first choice for cheap OB. It's frighteningly good by any standards.

Silver Iris would be next, but I gather Dave (P10) isn't sold on the XO, and he's usually right. No surprise -crossovers are a pain to get right and there are very few good ones.

Alternatively a decent 6 1/2in unit like the FF165K in a BIB, which is a spectacularly simple horn that somehow got it into its head that what it really, really wants to sound like is a Dark Star dipole. Except with a heck of a lot of bass. So it does. No kidding -I'm not the only one who's noticed this.
Old 14th September 2006, 05:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah, i 'think' the SI's are my first choice at the moment, just because they are so cheap!

the only thing having never had any speaker with a cone diameter larger than 8", how is the midrange on the 15"s?

currently i am using my Tannoy DC1000 8" DC's in OB, and they are sounding miles better than when they were in boxes (where they were boring), and now they are the most fun speakers i have found!

also thinking of a dipole sub somewhere down the line....

and having limited experience with the FR125S, can a smallish (6 1/2") FR really rock?
Old 14th September 2006, 06:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, if it's loaded correctly. On open baffle no. In a BIB -oh yes indeed. Flat to 30Hz, ignoring a bit of ripple, and fast as a thief. Dynamics are as good as you'll ever get with FR drivers. But of course, they're horns, not dipoles, even if they do sound like them.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: So much choice- FR + Bass or Coaxial in OB?

Quote:
Originally posted by inrank
suppose i have 250 for the drivers, looking for somthing with expresive midrange, but an overall live, fun and exciting sound!
Look, you've been starting tons of threads, getting nowhere. No DIY design is gonna pop out and scream "yes, you must build me, I am perfect, you will love me forever". I suggest 2 things I would do in your shoes: (1) don't spen all that GBP250 at once, buy something cheaper to experiment with an alignment, or (2) spend that 250 on drivers with a Q suitable for multiple alignments, so you can rebuild in the future
Old 14th September 2006, 07:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's good advice. Something in the 0.4 area would probably do nicely for different cabinet ideas.
Old 15th September 2006, 08:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks for all the reply's, in regards to different alignments, i am definatley going for OB, as i am off back to uni and i cant have big speakers as i have a small car to take it up and i also have rubbish woodworking skills, so a flat packed OB is the order of the day.

unless there is a really good boxed design that meets the criteria thats small, OB is the only way
Old 15th September 2006, 10:21 PM   #9
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default well , I'm back promoting OBs (again..)

and being pretty unabashed about it.

OBs , are in my opinion, something that I will work to never be without. Some believe that bass is not very good using a single driver in an open baffle. I beg to,, differ.

Altering the "JE Labs" OB as per my own experiences has provided what I consider good bass without the need for a sub. I used Oxford 12J4, (10 watt drivers from an old Allen organ, but also used in Fender "Bassman" and "Princeton" guitar amps). with my mods, I get real 30-ish Hz bass (only compared them to a known sub that gets to 32 Hz, and they didn't leave me wanting the sub). A little big at 31.5" X35.5 " for a dorm room , but easy to transport in knockdown form. If you build em , please centre the driver as per the instructions.
Old 16th September 2006, 08:52 AM   #10
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

A possible solution would be Omnes Audio L8 and Eminence Beta 15. And if you should find you belong to those who prefer the Omnes with a supertweeter you would be at your limit with the Fostex FT-17H. And if you should become tired of monster OBs you could use the Beta 15 sealed.

Hide this!Advertise here!