Will this TB driver work in the Cyburg-Needle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These TB speakers are from the satelite speakers on the Logitech Z-560 system. Can anyone tell me if they(specs below) will drop-in or should I stick to a standard box with a port? If the box with a port is my best option can someone suggest a box volume and porting?

Thanks from a longtime newbie.

TangBand W3-665SC

Diaphram Material: Paper
Surround Material: Santoprene
Nominal Impedance: 8
DCR impedance: 6
Sensitivite 1W/1m 88dB
Frequency Response: 120Hz-20KHz
Free Air Resonance: 120Hz
Voice Coil Diameter: 20mm
Air gap Height: 4mm
Rated Power Input: 15W
Maximum Power Input: 30W
Force Factor, BL: 3.2TM
Magnet Weight: 120g (4oz)
Moving Mass: 1.45g
Suspension Compliance: 1106 MN^-1
Effective Piston Area: .0032 M^2
X-max: 1mm
Vas: 1.6L
Qts: 0.63
Qms: 6.88
Qes: 0.69

Thanks Henkjan. Those simulations would be great. The speakers originally came in standard ported plastic cabinet. My original thoughts were to rebox them in some birch plywood cabinets like Zaph originally did with the 871's. Ideally I'd like to end up with the two needle's(left and right main) and 3 ported boxes(center and rear surrounds) to use in a small home theater setup for my daughters room. There will be a sub for low end enforcement.

The link is to and ebay auction of the same type speaker.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Z-560-...ryZ44985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there's also a centre version of the needle:

Attachments

• cyburgs needle center 3d.jpg
    cyburgs needle center 3d.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 539
as expected, response almost the same. "ripple" between 200 and 300 Hz is even somewhat less than with the W3-871S.

it appears that this TL can be used for a variety of 3" drivers: the FRS8, a number of TB's (W3-665SC, W3-871S, W3-315SC, Omnes Audio BB3.01). Especially the last mentioned one surprised me, it's parameters differ quite a lot from the other W3's (Qt=0.46). after I complete the needles, I intend to try this one and expect quite a lot from it

so over to the [wherever you buy plywood or mdf ] and start building!

I have my pair almost completed:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the centre was completed last WE:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here is the plan (all dimensions in mm)

as you can see, the "filter" will fit nicely in the little empty box behind the driver (I filled it with sand). therefore the cable must be placed in the box before closing it and holes drilled etc. dry fit is even more important with this loudspeaker than normally! also think twice on how to glue, it's small size does not make it easier, you might want to just glue one piece at a time, wait for the glue to dry and then the next. also stuffing must be placed before closing it.

I have attached the terminals behind the small empty box at the narrow end of the line, after painting it I will fill this with sand as well.

Attachments

• cyburgs needle centerplan.gif
    cyburgs needle centerplan.gif
    46.7 KB · Views: 455
lillo said:
Greetings, I'm interesting to build the needle and the center speaker too, one question is the center using the same filter as the original needle ?
usually yes, but I can imagine setups where a different filter (or no filter) could be better. if you have the chance to listen and/or measure the speaker in the place where it will be locatied, than you vcan be sure about this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.