Coax tweeters: unwanted horn loading? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Coax tweeters: unwanted horn loading?

Hi,

When mounting a neodymium magnet tweeter on the polepiece of a woofer, besides the obvious benefits of phase coherency and single-point source, how troublesome would you regard the drawbacks like unwanted horn loading of the tweeter and early HF reflections caused by the woofer?

I've done the coaxially mounted tweeter trick on a pair of Beyma 8ag/n (crappy whizzer and dustcap removed, tweeter magnet about 1.5" away from polepiece using rubber doorstopper as adapter) and am planning to do the same on a pair of vintage 12"/30cm formerly fullrange drivers (same story, crappy whizzers removed, now beautiful FR and -3db at about 4khz)...

Would the alternative à la hammerdynamics be better: phase coherency would be worse, little less single-point source but none of the 2 mentioned drawbacks of true coax mounting?

BTW the tweeters I'm using are Monacor DT-25n or -28n, small horn loaded tweeters, dunno if this makes any difference with regards to directivity that could be relevant to answer my question...

Cheers,

Simon
Old 7th September 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, Tannoy consider the horn loading provided by the cone to be an advantage!
What can in theory be a problem is Doppler intermodulation, but I've never noticed any audible effects with either commercial or 'home made' coax designs.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

There are other manufacturers that build coaxes with very flat woofers to reduce the horn-loading... Good to know you don't consider it a big problem, no reason to take a different path than.

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!