Coax tweeters: unwanted horn loading?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

When mounting a neodymium magnet tweeter on the polepiece of a woofer, besides the obvious benefits of phase coherency and single-point source, how troublesome would you regard the drawbacks like unwanted horn loading of the tweeter and early HF reflections caused by the woofer?

I've done the coaxially mounted tweeter trick on a pair of Beyma 8ag/n (crappy whizzer and dustcap removed, tweeter magnet about 1.5" away from polepiece using rubber doorstopper as adapter) and am planning to do the same on a pair of vintage 12"/30cm formerly fullrange drivers (same story, crappy whizzers removed, now beautiful FR and -3db at about 4khz)...

Would the alternative à la hammerdynamics be better: phase coherency would be worse, little less single-point source but none of the 2 mentioned drawbacks of true coax mounting?

BTW the tweeters I'm using are Monacor DT-25n or -28n, small horn loaded tweeters, dunno if this makes any difference with regards to directivity that could be relevant to answer my question...

Cheers,

Simon :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.