Vintage German drivers......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With abundance of German drivers on E-bay, I think to try some in my interchangable baffel set up,, I can seal of acordingly or what ever. I have some 6x8 & 4" tweeters coming & will get some diiferant ones to try......I use active plate & M26wr's 10" 's for bottom support in large vented cab's. I amagine some of these are real sleepers & no dought some are world class for sure, but those are the high $.. I am after the sleapers..should be fun. I can make the baffle combo's up ahead of time & & slap em in. I run that dandy little fe103a Coral now & it amazes me & every body that has heard it..Actually theu think it is all smoke & mirrors...as in where is the REAL driver at......Pic's are what I have coming.
J & G
Germanfullranger.jpg

Those look like Isophon if I'm not mistaken. FWIW my experience with old German tabletop-radio speakers is mixed. Probably the most famous ones are 'Saba greencones', the most seen 8" version has a terrible high-mid shout though, very good example of an unwaranted hype.

The oval speakers seem to suffer less from midrange-shout; I've got good experiences with some Isophons and Blaupunkt. Here's a site that could be of interest to you: http://home.arcor.de/pfaue/klangkue/gruenwunder/galerie/galerie.htm

Simon

Hi everyone!
I also know Istvan Varga from Sonido. I use his loudspeakers in rear load horn construction by his sketch. I would like to share my opinion about the sound of these magnificent constructions.
SFR144 is small - 144 ìì Full-range speaker. The construction of the box is simple, it is not difficult for work out and it doesn’t cost a lot – for me it took about 300 Euro, including the materials and labor. ;-)) But the sound that comes from these little loudspeakers gives an enjoyable experience with the music. The loudspeakers only needs a time for break-in
about 150 hours, but before that you already will have an idea of the potential they have.
The loudspeakers display particular well acoustic music: not big jazz bands from the old schooling, chamber orchestra in classic music. The sound is soft, transparent, fluent, if the sound of the record is like that, of course. The tonal balance is good, smooth, there’s no protruding of midrange frequency. But this also depends on the disposition of the loudspeakers in the room. I will not recommend to you these loudspeakers if your room is less than 14 m2. Otherwise on a higher level of sound the bass begins to extend and starts dominate over the others frequencies. Also in a room more than 20 m2 you can feel the lack of bass.
The treble is transparent enough and there’s no feel that they’re missing, there’s no sizzling from the vocals, also. The vocal is not closed-in, nasal and not so sibilance, it is just natural. At the more energetic passages, for example wind instruments, there is no such this hysteric, which is very characteristic for most of the Full-range drivers. The bass is enough, it is no bloated or boom, this is very important for such small loudspeakers.
The acoustic upright bass is precise, taut and delicate. I listen the old jazz using these loudspeakers and I get huge pleasure all the time. It’s very important to notice, also, that these loudspeakers help you to find out the huge difference between the different records. The old records are warm and soft, they are a little bit dirty, and the music pleases you. And the new jazz records are colder, more cleaned; the performances are more technical, peakier and weed out, but that’s normal – it’s age of a new speed now:)
The piano is precise and living in its dimensions.:) You may feel the differences in the manner of playing between different performers.
The electronic instruments sound well also, but it depends on the record a lot.

SFR200 is a different class. It is very important that Istvan continues the traditions of Telefunken. The sound is like the old speakers 30-40 years ago. But it only looks like, because it is absolutely individuality, very tight and warm sound.
The box is by Istvan sketch again – 1600mm height, 600 mm depth and 300 mm width. Every loudspeaker weigh is above 100 kg. The construction of the box is simple again. Here you forget about the stage, the music just transform the room. ;)) The loudspeakers needs 150 hours break-in time again and the room to be more than 20 m2.
The loudspeakers are big but the bass doesn’t deafen, it only presence as much as it is need to presence – that very interesting. :) At the same time you don’t feel its lack. Here you may listen a big orchestra at one breath. Or you may listen progressive rock for example – you won’t believe it is only one speaker – there is a lot of presence. Of course not all the records will sound like that but there are good ones. The passages are so delicate that you realize the sound rise from the silence. The mighty passages fulfill the whole room without any screech.
I am so pleased I found out what I was looking for. I would like also to thank Istvan for his patience and understanding.
This description that I made is not complete, it’s shallow.
I‘ve just received the new loudspeakers from Istvan, SFR250 – for bass reflex box, and now I experiment with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.