Parallel X-over coils for lower DCR? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Parallel X-over coils for lower DCR?

Would it be a good idea to parallel 2 parallel notch filter coils for lower DCR? Good quality inductors are unavailable here - would the complications outweight the benefits of halving DCR?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 4th September 2006, 11:13 AM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Klimon,

That's an interesting one. Sometimes you'll find that a coil with twice the inductance and the same gauge of wire, will have a DCR of perhaps 1.5 times higher, so this does seem possible.

Concerns would be with interaction, with each other and other crossover components. Space could fix this.

I wonder about turning this to your advantage. While testing small transformers, I found that when you have two windings on the same iron, both in series, you'll have four times the inductance of just one winding alone.

So I wonder whether stacking two inductors neatly, windings going the same way, and paralleled them, maybe the inductance would be greater than half allowing you to use smaller coils (or unwind some), and the problem of interaction with each other would be fixed. You'd want to measure the inductance, however, to be sure.
Old 4th September 2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I'm really only considering it as a temporary solution; it would surprise me if such a simple idea - if it worked - wasn't better known though. BTW when reading a little on the zaph-audio website (that seems to be eagerly quoted by technically minded speakerbuilders) the author says he's not into low dcr coils. The advantage seems obvious to me (ohms law, I don't go far beyond that) but maybe there's more to it? I'll know once the 1,6ohms coil gets swapped for a 0,14ohms tritec...

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!