Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2006, 09:48 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd give the edge to the FE108eS but it is more than twice the price. You will get greater consistency across and sample of FE108eS, the 40 year old drivers will have aged in many directions (i've measures Fs from 75 to 150 Hz for instance). If you get a good set of Corals with no signs of "stiff surround syndrome" they will come close , if they has SSS, they become candidates for superb mid-tweeters (as in the application above)

dave
Old 7th September 2006, 03:48 PM   #12
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

With that I will probably go with the Fostex merely for the ease of replacement. With a 2 year old roaming the house, these things can happen. I am planning for a full range system for the wife planted in the living room where the big stereo is considered an eye sore.
Old 7th September 2006, 06:12 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
I am planning for a full range system for the wife planted in the living room where the big stereo is considered an eye sore.
Do keep in mind that any box you build for the 108 will be quite a bit larger than the box you'd build for the Coral.

dave
Old 7th September 2006, 08:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Frugelhorns aren't that big though... Look nice too.
Old 7th September 2006, 08:11 PM   #15
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm depressed now
I used to have a Sony TC500, and even had the 'lid' speakers as mains for a while when I had nothing else to use, as they sounded so decent.
I sold the machine a few years ago for next to nothing, little realising that I could have rehoused the speakers to great advantage!
Old 7th September 2006, 08:27 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Indeed... and the Tamura SE OPTs & the power trannie make a nice little amp.

dave
Old 1st October 2006, 02:45 AM   #17
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dang...................

I have 2 set of sub baffels ready to go into pictured cabs to run against the Corals, but can not force myself to change them out.. other baffle set ups are JBL LE5-2 Alnico's & some Tele's with DEW magnets. I can not find flaw in what the Corals are supposed to do..I hope I can so I can continue to tweek the dang thing,, but been a while & my other baffel set ups are just sitting here.. they are even painted & wired. From Joplin to Nora to TOOL, to what ever , it doesn't matter..I have em in about 140 cu inch enclosure behind sub baffle..These little guy's suck you in to the music like no other I have heard. Especially since I removed the bass from them. The ribbon is @ 10,000 with a 2uf & that is it.. no padding on the tweeter. The Vifa wr26 09-08's keep up with ease. I will have to force myself to try the other baffels for the widerange,, it will be hard..I might not even do it. These dang little things $ for $ might be the best damn speaker on the planet. IMO
Just venting happiness............

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st October 2006, 04:31 PM   #18
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
All i can do is smile... these are gems.
They do sparkle don't they? Even the 16 ohm version has plenty in the upper mids. The ones shown have had the planet10 special treatment and blend exceptionally well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished front.jpg (83.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 1st October 2006, 04:32 PM   #19
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

up close and personal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5822.jpg (36.8 KB, 280 views)
Old 1st October 2006, 11:04 PM   #20
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I sure would like to hear those Cal....

It would be a treat.... I must search the world for the black cone version I have for backup, I know they are the same, but would be nice to stumble on another exact pair. I decided to run the JBL LE5-2 Alnico's against the Corals this mourning,,,Fired it up & was not happy,,,, did some adjustments, was not happy, did a bunch of adjustments, NOT happy,,,12 hrs later & CCR & Joplin played over & over, I decided that was all I could take. Not dissin the JBL , but in no way does it have that special magic the Coral does..The JBL is clear & detailed, but that is it,, I don't like the tone of it, I should say it is far from bad, real far, it just doesn't have that butter smooth midrange of the Coral. Put it this way I can not stop stompin my feet with Corals, I did not move with the JBL.. A sine of analytical behavior..I truley thimk I will stop challenging the Corals for a while & just work on my other systems. It's a match & I shouldn't mess with it..Cal,...can you tell me some about thet set up in your pictures...?

Hide this!Advertise here!