Edge diffraction with fullranger - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Edge diffraction with fullranger

I'm going to be working with a fullranger on a circular baffle that's VERY slightly larger than the driver (5mm each side or so). The FR125, specifically. The cabinets are some semi-spherical metal enclosures picked up through the forum a ways back. I'm hoping that I can avoid major modal resonance in the cabinet (there are 2 flat circular areas, so it's not a 'true' sphere, and the enclosure is small enough that stuffing HOPEFULLY will be effective against the relevant frequencies.

But I'm essentially stuck with a circular baffle that will be just outside the edge of the driver, which normally would be VERY far from ideal. I'm wondering though- given that it's a low-diffraction cabinet (a sphere being an idealized case of baffle step with very smooth ripple, for low frequency), won't a tiny little baffle like this be irrelevant? The driver would be quite directional at the point at which the transition occurs anyway, I would think.

Oh, of probably pretty dramatic relevance will be that this will be used for nearfield listening, which, in my understanding psychoacoustically disregards baffle step

Thoughts?
Old 1st September 2006, 04:57 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If its shaped like I think you mean should not be a problem.

/sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!