Best drivers for t-amp and 3.5L enclosures? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2006, 06:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best drivers for t-amp and 3.5L enclosures?

Listening to music through the speakers in my ibook is wearing on me, so I'm looking to put together a tabletop system for non-critical listening in my summer cabin. Source will probably be ipod. I'm thinking a super-T amp. I have some 6x6x6" (inside dims) cabinets built, which makes for about 3.5 liters. My questions are: What full range driver would be best suited? fr125s (maybe a little pricy, but could be swapped to a more respectable enclosure someday)? fe127e? Something by tangband? Should I port the cabs? Aperiodic?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

-Jared
Old 31st August 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bass boost in portable active speakers?

/sreten.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:40 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Best drivers for t-amp and 3.5L enclosures?

Quote:
Originally posted by roundel325
Listening to music through the speakers in my ibook is wearing on me, so I'm looking to put together a tabletop system for non-critical listening in my summer cabin. Source will probably be ipod. I'm thinking a super-T amp. I have some 6x6x6" (inside dims) cabinets built, which makes for about 3.5 liters. My questions are: What full range driver would be best suited? fr125s (maybe a little pricy, but could be swapped to a more respectable enclosure someday)? fe127e? Something by tangband? Should I port the cabs? Aperiodic?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

-Jared

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Bass boost in portable active speakers?

/sreten.

6x6x6 is bad mmmmkay, try to use dissimilar dimensions.
Old 31st August 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know the power rating of the T amp but doubt it will effectively run 85dB FR-125's to their fullest potential. Even at low volume levels you won't get the dynamics - music will sound lifeless IMHO as I've run the FR-125 with Denon UDM-31 22wpc mini vs Vecteur 60wpc.
You should use amp with no current limiting BTW.
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would stick a 3" TB in there of your choice and make the box either sealed or aperiodic... if you can experiment you may find you like one design over the other... otherwise, that's all i would do.

Peace,
Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!