full range speaker for HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both my stereo system and my HT system share the same front left and right speaker .

Recently have a intension to get a full range speaker (FRS), as i know a FRS is high sensitive . What is the max watt it can handle .? My AV receiver is 65 w an i am worried it will kill the speaker driver .anyone have the same experience to share?

Or should i use the AVR pre out to connect to my sun audio SV2a3 to power the FRS.

What reciever do you have? Does it have pre-outs? Do you have any other amps besides the SV 2a3?

Just because the reciever says it will put out 65w does not mean that it actually can, nor does it supply a constant 65w, there is always the volume knob.

What full ranges do you have? What efficiency are they, I'm guessing mid 90s if your using the SV 2a3. What surrounds do you have? What is their efficency? You can hook up your full ranges to any amp, as long as you have a volume knob that can be turned down, you will not blow your speakers.

Josh

I use a variety of FR drivers in my HT system. My receiver is rated at 100watts per channel (NAD), and I drive FE127Es for center at very high levels without any problem. The bass management is set @ 80HZ and a sub covers from there on down, relieving the FR from long excursions. If you hear distortion turn the volume down. Your system will tell you when it`s had to much. I feel that a HT system needs a sub more than a 2 channel music only system does.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MPM said:
fe167e's and build the recommended BR enclosure for the mains

I'm listening to a set of those (althou with the port lengthened to 3"). If you are going to use them set to small they should do well... the Brines box is better. We are also working on a Mama Fonken box for these.

The pair of 167s i have are awaiting me to go at them with the C37 & puzzlecoat (they already have phase plugs)

dave

Attachments

• fe167-br.jpg
    fe167-br.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 434
Jazzz, until I expirienced the sound of fullrange drivers I was an English mini-monitor fan. For 18 years I had LS 3/5a`s and Proac Responce 1SC`s and still like them. I have 4 systems in my house and 3 of the 4 now use fullrange speakers and when I put my Proac`s in the system they sound compressed, dull and uninvolving. For me it`s fullrange sound for now......open detailed and very musical.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
<soapbox>
There is something about the continuity of a good full-range (and that doesn't mean expensive) that transcends potential downfalls like limited bass or limted top (or both) and FR that deviates from ruler flat. Having the amplifier connected directly to the speakers terminals no doubt helps as does the ability to use some amplifiers that really only start to shine with the simple load of a direct connected speaker. (in hifi it is far too often ignored that the speaker & amp are a tightly coupled system that works -- or fails -- together.

And if you find the FR you choose is missing something you want at the top & bottom, a simple cap coupled super-tweeter works surprising well wihout compromising the FR/amp gestalt, and active woofer(s) can be added to the bottom (beware many a subwooder has trouble keeping up with the midrange purity of a good FR).

The reemergence inexpensive full-ranges (in a multitude of diy (or close to diy) enclosures) are opening up a world of musical enjoyment that many an audio-pile with a gazillion dollars of gear just can't seem to find.

I keep hearing the lament of hardship in the high-end. Is that because it is just not working? That a music lover keeps forking out bucks to improve his experience, but in the end is traveling down a road that rarely meets the need?

At the same time that the high end is shrinking and prices seem to be ever headed northward, diy is growing leaps & bounds. And many of those diyers are discovering the simple pleasures & synergies of a good full-range speaker coupled to a simple low-power amplifier.

And to top it off, it can be very affordable... a good scavenger with some creativity can cobble together a system for next to nothing... and for those that would rather not, the growing variety of diy support houses with a plethora of decent, inexpensive product still allow one to assemble a system that would fit into a budget that would just pay the taxes on some people's cables.

</soapbox>

dave

My suggestion would be to build 5 of Zaph's B3S designs. Having built a pair I can honestly say that these would make an excellent home theater system in a small to medium sized room. Just add a sub and you're set. They will truly shock you. I've come back to 2 channel but when I was into home theater I had the Athena Point 5 system that is very well reviewed by the way and these little 3 inch drivers in Zaph's design are way better in every way. Better soundstage better highs and believe it or not, better bass (not counting the sub).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.