full range speaker for HT - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2006, 09:14 AM   #11
Jazzz is offline Jazzz  Belgium
diyAudio Member

ok thanks no xo.

btw what is you guy comment on FR driver , the low high range . mid range , the detail and musical instrument sound reproduction , Thanks
Old 31st August 2006, 02:34 PM   #12
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Jazzz, until I expirienced the sound of fullrange drivers I was an English mini-monitor fan. For 18 years I had LS 3/5a`s and Proac Responce 1SC`s and still like them. I have 4 systems in my house and 3 of the 4 now use fullrange speakers and when I put my Proac`s in the system they sound compressed, dull and uninvolving. For me it`s fullrange sound for now......open detailed and very musical.
Old 31st August 2006, 06:21 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

<soapbox>
There is something about the continuity of a good full-range (and that doesn't mean expensive) that transcends potential downfalls like limited bass or limted top (or both) and FR that deviates from ruler flat. Having the amplifier connected directly to the speakers terminals no doubt helps as does the ability to use some amplifiers that really only start to shine with the simple load of a direct connected speaker. (in hifi it is far too often ignored that the speaker & amp are a tightly coupled system that works -- or fails -- together.

And if you find the FR you choose is missing something you want at the top & bottom, a simple cap coupled super-tweeter works surprising well wihout compromising the FR/amp gestalt, and active woofer(s) can be added to the bottom (beware many a subwooder has trouble keeping up with the midrange purity of a good FR).

The reemergence inexpensive full-ranges (in a multitude of diy (or close to diy) enclosures) are opening up a world of musical enjoyment that many an audio-pile with a gazillion dollars of gear just can't seem to find.

I keep hearing the lament of hardship in the high-end. Is that because it is just not working? That a music lover keeps forking out bucks to improve his experience, but in the end is traveling down a road that rarely meets the need?

At the same time that the high end is shrinking and prices seem to be ever headed northward, diy is growing leaps & bounds. And many of those diyers are discovering the simple pleasures & synergies of a good full-range speaker coupled to a simple low-power amplifier.

And to top it off, it can be very affordable... a good scavenger with some creativity can cobble together a system for next to nothing... and for those that would rather not, the growing variety of diy support houses with a plethora of decent, inexpensive product still allow one to assemble a system that would fit into a budget that would just pay the taxes on some people's cables.

</soapbox>

dave
Old 8th September 2006, 08:27 PM   #14
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

My suggestion would be to build 5 of Zaph's B3S designs. Having built a pair I can honestly say that these would make an excellent home theater system in a small to medium sized room. Just add a sub and you're set. They will truly shock you. I've come back to 2 channel but when I was into home theater I had the Athena Point 5 system that is very well reviewed by the way and these little 3 inch drivers in Zaph's design are way better in every way. Better soundstage better highs and believe it or not, better bass (not counting the sub).

Hide this!Advertise here!