diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   The Metronome (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/85410-metronome.html)

planet10 25th August 2006 04:17 AM

Steve,

The Metronomes are also quite interesting.... and not really a TQWT (in a strict sense). I can't remember whether we discussed it here or on the full-range forum. Because it tapers in both directions the taper is not linear, but quadratic. It does make for a very elegant looking speaker.... have you posted drawings anywhere?

dave

PS: always nice to see the "Made on a Mac"

Steve Cresswell 25th August 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by planet10
Steve,

The Metronomes are also quite interesting.... and not really a TQWT (in a strict sense). I can't remember whether we discussed it here or on the full-range forum. Because it tapers in both directions the taper is not linear, but quadratic. It does make for a very elegant looking speaker.... have you posted drawings anywhere?

dave

PS: always nice to see the "Made on a Mac"

Dave

The plans for the speaker can be downloaded from here

Steve.

planet10 26th August 2006 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a graph of the actual taper of the metronoe.

dave

Steve Cresswell 26th August 2006 09:43 PM

Dave

Hmm

There's a slight curve on the taper

Does this mean it has an element of horn behaviour involved with it ?

Steve.

planet10 26th August 2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Cresswell
There's a slight curve on the taper... Does this mean it has an element of horn behaviour involved with it ?
A Voigt can already be thot of as a form of conical horn. Here the taper is quadratic, as opposed to linear.

Normally a classic receipe Voigt has little chance of being close to optimal, but you have added a twist -- this has been discussed, but yours is the 1st i've seen actually built.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...253#post569253

I've sent the data off to Scottmoose to see if he would be so kind as to model it for us.

dave

planet10 26th August 2006 10:52 PM

This thread was split off from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...597#post989597

It is about Steve's Metronome speaker

http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/S...20Speaker.html

(BTW Steve using spaces in URL name's is not recommended)

http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/S...s/DSCN0298.jpg

dave

ronc 26th August 2006 11:23 PM

May i offer a few suggestions? I did a great deal of study on this action and even built some based on near the same principal several years ago.
ron

planet10 27th August 2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ronc
May i offer a few suggestions? I did a great deal of study on this action and even built some based on near the same principal several years ago.
Please Ron... your experiences are always of great value.

dave

planet10 27th August 2006 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a model of the speaker to better give an idea of the shape.

dave

hugz 27th August 2006 03:20 AM

I have some scrap wood around but no design skills. It there an easy way to change this design to suit 8 inch drivers?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2