The Metronome

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Met is just on the edge of working with the Met already, and it would like to see an amplifier that has a fairly high output impedance. These 2 factors and your amp would mean less bass than you'd like. As well the higher efficiency is likely to have your amp working where it is at its worst (right in the zero crossing/crossover region).

The MA drivers are less efficient so will get your amp where it is more comfortable and they don't need a highish output impedance to help prop up the bottom.

dave

Well, since the price is almost the same it seems like i am going for the MA drivers.
But how about the plans?
I wont start building this until maybe a few months have passed, already on my first little project, heh. But i want to be able to plan and make sure i get the right things and so on.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I just saw that the sensitivity of both EL70 and CHR70 was quite low, compared to some Fostex drivers i've looked at earlier.
Is it anything i should care about?

note that when used singularly per enclosure, the Mark Audio drivers provide a lower impedance load than Fostex, which in combination with the lower sensitivity, might cause some amplifiers to run warm - either of the named amps probably have adequate power, particularly if you're not planning on all night dance parties - but keep the ventilation in mind

of course an easy fix is to run 2 drivers in series per enclosures such as bipole Metronomes or Microtowers (as noted in other thread) :innocent:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just saw that the sensitivity of both EL70 and CHR70 was quite low, compared to some Fostex drivers i've looked at earlier.
Is it anything i should care about?

That these drivers are less efficient is one of the prime reasons they will be happier with your amps than the Fostex. It will get your amp out of the region where zero crossing/notch distortion is at its worst.

Plans for the EL70 bipole are on the Metronome tables page. Basic drawing for the single driver version is done, needs some detail added, but a skilled woodwoorker could build from what exists.

The CHR is still numbers on the page, a bit more work to do that.

dave

Well, if we say i want to use the speaker as a reference speaker. What driver will be best suitable in this price-segment? I will still use my amps to i guess Fostex FE126En is excluded. But what about CHR70 or EL70?

for my $.02, the term "reference" is still really quite subjective, and between the 3 named drivers, my own taste leans to the paper coned EL70

mind you Mark is constantly upgrading his designs and production, and depending on when you actually build this project, there may well be more from which to chose

FWIW, my own "reference" for the past at least 6yrs has been the FE127E, and while discontinued by Fostex, there may still be some available.

Thanks Dave.

So, i shouldn't get something with that high sensitivity. Right?
So for a reference speaker driven by my amp the EL70 would be the best choice, or?

But, i will give something a try. Since i want this to be a father&son project i can ask for money from my father. If it works i can build a bipole or higher the budget for the drivers.

How long do you think it will take to get the plans for single driver EL70 Metronome finished? Within a few months?

Edit: Yeah, but i want a speaker that sounds good at a low cost. Right now i got a pair of Dynavoice M-65, low-budget speaker but probably the best in it's price-class. I can't afford a better speaker so building one on my own should be able to cut the costs a little, and if i don't like the ones i build i could probably just sell them.
The time for the project will probably be this spring or maybe this summer, we will see how much time my dad's got.
Buying used ones might be hard, my parents are very "against" that sort of trading, especially from people outside Sweden. But thanks for the tip!

Niklas

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Niklas,

Yes, trying to mate a really efficient speaker to your amp would be a mistake.

When i get at it, it will only be days to get the EL70 single met plans finished. Email me and i'll send what i have. You can discuss with your dad whether they or the halfTower make more sense. The Met is certainly more visually impressive and swill get more out of the driver.

Trying to find used EL70 is probably not going to happen, as they are to new. CHR70 used might turn up as people upgrade to A7 (some of the boxes are very similar). The drivers are so cheap to start with that you might as well get new (unless someone in your city has a pair)

dave

You know better than me, i think i'll listen to you ;)

Nice, will send an email to you. I will discuss with him what he thinks and if he want to put some money into it or not. If you say The Metronome will get more out of the driver it seems like it might end up with it.

I think i'll stick to new stuff, the price wont differ too much.

Btw, just did some calculations in WinISD and ended up with an almost straight freq-curve down to ~50hz and the f3 is at 41hz. I don't know what this means but it seems good, but this curve wont really show what it sounds like, heh. Calculated with the Half-Tower box.

Yeah, as i suspected. But, something that i can't understand really. The Half-tower seems to be just an ordinary box to me, with a reflexport at the bottom. What makes it special?

Pretty cool that such a little driver can go that low, i don't think my M-65 or even my sub will go that low. Hehe ;)

Yeah, as i suspected. But, something that i can't understand really. The Half-tower seems to be just an ordinary box to me, with a reflexport at the bottom. What makes it special?

Pretty cool that such a little driver can go that low, i don't think my M-65 or even my sub will go that low. Hehe ;)

Well, they're a Mass Loaded "Transmission Line" design, wherein the "maths" for quarter wavelength characteristics are specifically factored, rather than ignored or overlooked as is the case in some designs that work by happenstance rather than intention.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

A standard bass reflex needs to have a box with dimension ratios not much different than a cube. If one dimensions starts to become significantly larger than the rest the box becomes a mass loaded transmission line... a BR morphs continuaously until it is an ML-TL as this dimension increases. The quarter-wave length resonance can then be used to advantage.

The behaviour of the air inside the box becomes completely different with this tranistion. If one looks at the ANSYS sims in Martin King's 1st ML-TQWT paper it is clear that even thou they are topologically the same the behaviour of an ML-TL is significantly different than a BR (there are lots of boxes out there that are called BR that in actual fact are ML-TLs.

dave