The Metronome

Tell you what I'd like to do.

I'd love to put my Goodmans Axiom 401s into Metronome cabinets.

Can't find any TS parameters anywhere :( so cabs are impossible to model.

Wonder if the Audio Nirvana 12" cast frame cab dimensions would be a good starting point.

I've been a long time out of the Metronome scene. Silly really, since it was me
that started this whole shebang way back in 2006.

Must get my hand in once more.

Any ideas chaps?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I used to think that Vas measurements were a pain, but pulling the woofer out of the car, to borrow the box, isn't too hard for one project. I've done the added mass thing too. Coins are useful, lined around the dustcap, as their official weight is easily obtainable. I like to do this test multiple times with different weights to establish accuracy.

I've been looking at the plans for the EL70 bipolar Metronome, and wondering if the arches at the bottom are essential to the design. Would there be any acoustic objection to having no arches and making the cabinets 3 inches lower, with a front or rear facing port instead?

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'd point out the loading that that configuration gives but as always, other things seem to be more significant. No doubt you were planning a little trial and error anyway ;) I found I needed to play with the port/position with these a little more than your average speaker.

Some designs may work w/ different drivers: e.g. I have put a pair of 206e's into Half Changs and used BSC. However, I only did this after hearing Bob T's HCs w/ the 206e. I don't think I would have been adventurous enough to try it on my own.

That said, my gut reaction is no. The 207 is sufficiently different from the 206 that you would need to calculate different dimensions for the 206 for best results. I'm getting ready to start on a pair of FE167e Mets, and I note that in a similar situation (xx7 to xx6 series) the FE166e looks like it needs different dimensions.

Cheers, Jim

Some designs may work w/ different drivers: e.g. I have put a pair of 206e's into Half Changs and used BSC. However, I only did this after hearing Bob T's HCs w/ the 206e. I don't think I would have been adventurous enough to try it on my own.

That said, my gut reaction is no. The 207 is sufficiently different from the 206 that you would need to calculate different dimensions for the 206 for best results. I'm getting ready to start on a pair of FE167e Mets, and I note that in a similar situation (xx7 to xx6 series) the FE166e looks like it needs different dimensions.

Cheers, Jim

Many thanks for your input Jim. Since Metronomes behave much like the TQWT, I suppose that I should use Martin King's worksheets for ML-TQWT for my calculations, or there are Metronome-specific worksheets/models?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you can live without the exotic King Tut shape of the Mets, look into Scott's Consiton^2. I've been listening to mine for three months and they are superb. Small footprint but huge sound. Hooked up my old speakers today just for comparison while listening to the Pixies and there is none. The Connie's deliver depth and detail that most speakers can't dream of. Two CSS EL70's in a proper cabinet really get it done.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Metronome cabinet seems to be a bass reflex design with a pleasing shape. The plan that I linked to is for the EL70 and if I did the math right, it's internal volume is about 2.35 cubic ft. Would it be right to figure you could build a rectangular tower with this volume and 4" port and get the same sonic result?

Last edited: