The Metronome

Hi Everyone,

Here is a pic of my Metronomes with Planet-10 phase plug mods.

They are in situ with my system and cat.
They sound the biz with the phase plugs and produce a huge soundstage and
a virtually seamless integration top to bottom.
The main reason for this post is just to show how nice these speakers look in a domestic setting.

Steve

Attachments

• waf_3.jpg
    waf_3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,400
Scottmoose said:
And nice they do indeed look Steve. One of the most domestically acceptable systems as a while I've seen for a long time, that. The pase plugs add a certain something to the driver too, don't they.

I am also attracted to metronome, is there a driver/size combination of this design that is full range?, i.e. does not need a subwoofer?

thanks,

gychang

Scottmoose said:
Oh yes. Dave and I have done quite a few. Here's a link. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/metronome.html The page isn't live yet as it's a work in progress, but it'll give you an idea of what to expect -different cabinets ranging from a bipole version with the FE126E all the way up to a relative monster with the new 10in Audio Nirvana driver.

Wow!, this is great topic. Like the metronome shape, thanks for the link site, as u said, the embedded links don't seem to work properly.

1. any driver combination/demensions that gives good full range output? For a relatively small room, will be driving it with t-amp (amp6BASIC)

2. bipole (2 speakers in each cabinet) be better for my purpose?, what is the advantage, (extended base? or sensitivity).

guess, no one made it with FE167E yet, can't read the exact demensions too small on my screen, any experience out there?

thanks

gychang

Click the picture, not the text under it & the diagrams will come up fine.

Bipole is a small room? Probably not a good idea. Bipoles provide a slightly more diffuse, and arguably more realistic soundstage (when was the last time you heard point-source imaging at a concert?) and negate the need for a BSC circuit. They're more sensitve, but a harder load for the amplifier (lower impedence). A T-amp would probably just about cope. However, they need to be a good few feet from a rear wall or the reflections will be too severe.

The 167 would likely do you nicely. 207 or the 10in AN will go lower & louder of course, but cost more.

Scottmoose said:
And nice they do indeed look Steve. One of the most domestically acceptable systems as a while I've seen for a long time, that. The phase plugs add a certain something to the driver too, don't they.

Hi Scott,
The phase plugs were the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned
They have turned an already very good driver into an outstanding one.

The improvement they made to the sonic presentation of those Fostex drivers was not subtle!

I'd love for somebody else to build a pair of these speakers
especially a bigger one just to experience the sound quality
they are capable of.

Steve

:) :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stroop said:
Does that mean the FE168e sigmas would have the same dimensions as the fe167e?

I can't recall whether i have dimensions for a suggested FR168eS in the queue. If i don't i'm guessing i'll see one soon.

Given similarities i'm almost temped to do a couple example drawings and then generate a table with the pertinent dimensions....

dave

Did someone call?

Metronome with FE168ESigma FR plot attached. Internal dimensions:
60in tall. Zdriver 30in. So=2.5in wide x 1in deep. Sl=10in wide x 6in deep. Port diameter 3in, length 5in. 0.25lbs ft^3 of stuffing assumed in upper 35in alone. Rising response to counter room gain. Should be quite nice. Doesn't breach Xmax until 30Hz so distortion shouldn't be a problem

A generic diagram with a table of dimensions for different drivers sounds like a plan to me Dave -save a whole load of time.

Attachments

• 168esigma metronome.gif
    168esigma metronome.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,199
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:

Scott's amp would be high DF. Steve's wouldn't. And i doubt any amps at the recent
East Yorks FostexFest would qualify as high DF.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It will be interesting to know which amp gets most play time once the other Steve finishes with Scott's new amps.

dave