The Metronome - Page 103 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 01:37 AM   #1021
drewh1 is offline drewh1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex 200A

also curious if anyone has used or modeled this driver for the Metronome? Are Alnico magnets worth the money?
Old 14th March 2013, 03:03 AM   #1022
diyAudio Member

When I did mine, I was sure to round over the corners and use closed cell foam for the gasket (the ones that come with fostex drivers are not great). They image really well and disappear. I agree with the others that they seem better on a hard surface. I place a piece of wood under them. I will send a pic soon.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:53 AM   #1023
diyAudio Member

I'll have a look for the F200a if I get time over the next few days. I seem to recall having done one before, so it might be buried somewhere in my archives.

As for whether AlNiCo magnets are worth the money, the F200a is a drive unit as a whole, not just an AlNiCo magnet, so you'd need to get hold of this driver with a different magnet type producing the same flux density in the VC gap for any comparison to be meaningful. Since Fostex have never produced such a unit, YMMV. Personally I have severe reservations about the assumption that using an AlNiCo magnet automatically results in superior performance. It doesn't work that way, not least because last I checked, we don't listen to magnetic fields. The magnet is just one element in the entire powertrain (VC, polepiece, front & back plates etc.) & it's almost impossible to isolate just one element, since to achieve (for example) the same flux density in the VC gap with other magnet materials, you'll almost certainly have to change other elements, thus violating the basic scientific method of only changing a single variable at at time.

With that said, AlNiCo can bring some advantages to the table in a quality unit, and the F200a is extremely good. Not cheap, but very well engineered & a solid performer for a driver of its type.
Old 14th March 2013, 06:48 PM   #1024
diyAudio Member

thanks Scott - I hear what you are saying about the design of the entire unit. I guess the question came up because of the way Audio Nirvana positions there products, as costing more with various magnet configurations.

My real interest is not buying marketing hype but building a nice set of speakers with decent components, so I appreciate your comments. Maybe a better question is, is the F200 worth the extra money in the Metronome?
Old 14th March 2013, 09:29 PM   #1025
diyAudio Member

Ah, yes, AN. Possibly nice drivers for what they are (I've heard a handful), but the way they're presented... let's say I have reservations.

AlNiCo has some benefits, or I should say, it can bring them (a friend who wishes to remain nameless pointed this out in an email after reading my above post), and I'm no expert. I've probably become over-cynical due to far too many current / recent products clearly using it for marketing purposes rather than anything else. However. Re your question, whether the F200a is worth the extra over Fostex's cheaper products? IMO, if you can afford them, then emphatically 'yes.'
Old 14th March 2013, 10:02 PM   #1026
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I am going to take a crack at designing a Metronome cabinet for the Vifa TC9FD using my Accidental MLTL technique and see how it works. Accidental MLTL Technique

I am thinking that it will be close in length to the FE108Sigma version but a little fatter. Can someone tell me what the tuning freq of the Met is for the FE108Sigma? Is the fb around 60 to 65 Hz?
Old 14th March 2013, 10:22 PM   #1027
diyAudio Member

Just so you don't lead anyone up the garden path in attempting to do so. The connection of the Metronomes to typical BR volume alignments (or sealed box volume alignments) is roughly akin to the square root of jack. I'll also repeat my strong view: the Vifa, like all 3in drivers, is not suitable for resonant enclosures. You might be able to force it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. The 108 Metronome is not an especially good example to work from either from the POV that were I to choose a driver for such an enclosure, the 108 would not be anywhere near the head of the list. I modified Steve's original purely to kill some harmonic modes, not to provide LF output. That cabinet was always intended to be used with woofers.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th March 2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:32 PM   #1028
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose,
Yes, I have been warned by you on several occasions that the Vifa is not good for resonant enclosures but it seems to be good enough sounding for me and others, and given that I have a bunch of them and lots of foam core to play with, why not? Bjohannesen has simulated the TABAQ with the Vifa and it looks good. Jim Shearer has simulated a tapered tapped horn with constricted terminus with it and it looks good. These are all resonant enclosures are they not? Yes, maybe not as good as you would get with a MA Alpair or CHR or Fostex, but not ugly either. I would have to disagree with you that there is square root of jack (I like that term) in the alignment relationship. We will see once I get one built. Nice thing with the Met is that it is so slender and hardly requires any material at all, and all the cuts are straight. Should be a quick and easy build.

Last edited by xrk971; 14th March 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:45 PM   #1029
diyAudio Member

scottmoose - I hope you can uncover the specs for the met with 200a, that would be so helpful - Also still curious about the volume when using a brace - do i need to increase it to accomodate the space taken up by the brace?

thanks again.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:53 PM   #1030
diyAudio Member

We have a different view re the Vifa. It's a fine unit within its limits, but I couldn't give a toss what the FR looks like; the fact is, it's a 3in driver being forced to work to a low frequency, sending excursion & HD through the roof. For the same reason, irrespective of the pretty FR, I don't find the TABAQ or any similar box offers performance I regard as acceptable. The price for the LF extension isn't worth it IMO. To each their own of course.

As for the metronomes, since I designed them, I actually do know what I'm talking about. They were not designed with any direct corrolation to typical BR or sealed box Vb alignments. Sorry. You may be able to find a volume alignment that you feel gives repeatable results (indeed, you should be able to), but if you could possibly keep in mind that a/ this is just one alignment of many possible variations, and b/ the various metronomes were designed for different things and different purposes, whatever they might look like on an FR plot, I'd appreciate it. Generic alignments can often have utility, no question, but there are limits too (more's the pity ).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th March 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!