The Metronome - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 03:59 AM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Default FF105WK compared to FF125WK update

This afternoon I removed some damping material from the FF105WK metronomes. They now sound very similar to the FF125WK and the differences are mainly noticed at the frequency extremes - treble in the FF105WK goes imho audibly higher and with less ripple but unfortunately it gives something up at the bass end. If augmented with a sub then I feel the FF105WK is the driver to use although it gives very respectable performance without a sub. Time alone will tell me which one I will be listening to the most.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:18 AM   #1002
leo2 is offline leo2  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I want to build metronomes, but I still have to decide on drivers.

The amp I'm currently using is a T-amp Ta2021B which is 13Watts at 8Ω and 25Watts at
4Ω.
Musical taste varies from Monteverdi to Ramones, so I want a sound wich is detailed
and refined but can rock as well with good bass extension.

I have three drivers in mind.
Fostex ff125wk, CSS EL70 and Markaudio CHR70.3
My budget allows me to go bipole with Markaudio and CSS. Fostex will be too expensive
for bipole.

Does the EL70 have enough hf compared to the other two?
Is the CHR70.3 sensitivity high enough given its 8Ω impedance?
How will the drivers compare in bass-performance?(in specs they seem close enough)

Leo
Old 4th February 2013, 12:32 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

I think the EL70 is extinct, I've had good results with CHR70.3 in a 10 ltr BR on 5 watt se KT88 amp! Two in bipole should ROCK!

Larry
Old 4th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #1004
yai is offline yai  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the EL70 is extinct
Mr Vollstädt at Breitbandlautsprecher und mehr - SpectrumAudio still has them on the price list.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:50 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the EL70 is extinct
The Dutch importer still got them listed.

But my real question is the consideration between the high frequencies and
the low end of the drivers I mentioned and about the sensitivity of the CHR70.2.
But I think Larry answered that one.

Leo
Old 4th February 2013, 04:37 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Should do the job -these things are relative of course, but I suspect you'll be happy.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:47 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Should do the job
Scott, you're indicating the CHR70.3?

What got me doubting is its given efficiency.
I have Half Changs with fostex fe206en and with (quite a bit) bsc they
just give me enough headroom.

Leo
Old 11th February 2013, 09:33 PM   #1008
Gijsch is offline Gijsch  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Has anybody here built a pair of metronomes with Audio nirvana super 10s ?

I recently bought a pair of these, the cast frame version of it. Initially with the idea of building them into open baffles with helpers for the low end, but now that I have seen them in real, this seems a waste of a nice driver to me. After some reading and pondering I came across the Metronome design, which looks quite attractive to me. Interesting principle, plenty of lowend according to the diagrams on the frugel-horn pages, and rather pleasing to the eye for such a tall design.

Tonight I started to model the enclosures in Sketchup to see if I could transform the suggested enclosure sizes into managable panel dimensions, but ran into a problem. According to my sketch, the loudspeaker unit would not fit on the suggested spot. that is, if I read the table correctly, and Zd is measured from the top down. On a given height of 72", Zd should be 32". For the speaker unit to fit, it would have to be lowered at least 2"
Would this have a big influence on the behaviour of the metronomes ?
Old 11th February 2013, 10:37 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijsch View Post
Has anybody here built a pair of metronomes with Audio nirvana super 10s ?

I recently bought a pair of these, the cast frame version of it. Initially with the idea of building them into open baffles with helpers for the low end, but now that I have seen them in real, this seems a waste of a nice driver to me. After some reading and pondering I came across the Metronome design, which looks quite attractive to me. Interesting principle, plenty of lowend according to the diagrams on the frugel-horn pages, and rather pleasing to the eye for such a tall design.

Tonight I started to model the enclosures in Sketchup to see if I could transform the suggested enclosure sizes into managable panel dimensions, but ran into a problem. According to my sketch, the loudspeaker unit would not fit on the suggested spot. that is, if I read the table correctly, and Zd is measured from the top down. On a given height of 72", Zd should be 32". For the speaker unit to fit, it would have to be lowered at least 2"
Would this have a big influence on the behaviour of the metronomes ?
Think Dave/planet10 has an onken box plan for those, which given the feedback on the other onken enclosures he has done, would probably be a pretty good bet.

Lowering will make a difference, how much needs to be simulated. Adding a suprabaffle seems to mke very little difference from my recent experiences especially when well chamfered.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:22 AM   #1010
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the case of the metronome, it is often the case that the aspect ratio of the box needs to be changed so that the driver can actually be fitted.

Ajust the depth to width ratios of S0 and Sl keeping the area the same until you can fit the driver.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!