4 inch Tang Bands..... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2006, 03:28 AM   #1
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 4 inch Tang Bands.....

Can someone help me figure out what the difference is between the Tang Band Bamboo W4-1320sb and the other TB 4 inchers. Let's use the W4-616s for this example. What in the specs or the design lets the 1320 reach 20khz while the 616s can only go to 14Khz? The cone shape looks the same. The Diameter is the same. Even the phaseplug s look the same. Could it really be the addition of "Bamboo" in the paper?

Here's a link to both:
W4-1320sb:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-846

W4-616s:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-818
Old 24th August 2006, 03:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 1320 does have less mass, so it has more efficiency while giving up a bit at low end.

I have tried the 616. Good low end, but I didn't like the high end. I suspect the 1320 is much better, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 24th August 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

It is said that some people like the low end sound from natural magnets. I have not compared though, but it might have something to do with fux modulation in the different magnet types.
Old 25th August 2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

I own both drivers. The 616 has decent bottom and mid, but it is very different than the 1320. I use the 616 as dummy and test loads, and use the 1320's for critical near field listening. Bamboo in cone. You might want to look at Godzilla sit for the BIB boxes. I have tried it, but look intresting.

Chris
Old 31st August 2006, 05:20 PM   #5
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

While TB drivers may MEASURE full range, they cannot be used full range IMHO.
The 616 has nasty breakup modes around 6 and 12kHz which are audible. Bamboo has rising FR which sounded unpleasantly bright to me.
So I'd recommend 2-way with x-over around 3kHz.

YMMV
Old 5th September 2006, 01:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corloc
I own both drivers. The 616 has decent bottom and mid, but it is very different than the 1320. I use the 616 as dummy and test loads, and use the 1320's for critical near field listening. Bamboo in cone. You might want to look at Godzilla sit for the BIB boxes. I have tried it, but look intresting.

Chris

So in comparing the 2 drivers, do you feel that the 616s is missing some high frequency information or is it just that the 1320 sounds better over all?
Old 5th September 2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by type

So in comparing the 2 drivers, do you feel that the 616s is missing some high frequency information or is it just that the 1320 sounds better over all?
Both
Old 15th September 2006, 02:40 AM   #8
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Some time ago, one of the crossovers came unglued from inside one of my two-way mains, and so the only alternative was a pair of single-driver vented bookshelves with the W4-616. Before then, they had been doing surround duty in a home theater set. So I swapped them out, and began noticing the things that single driver enthusiasts always rave about (no audible crossover points, amazing imaging). But I did notice that they were missing the top end sparkle that I had found so satisfying from my two-ways. They did have some air to them. I'm sure with a little bit of filter work, they would be a good-sounding driver for the enthusiast who is just starting with single-driver loudspeakers. I eventually repaired my two-ways, and went back to them, but I still remember my short single-driver fling with the W4-616.
Old 18th September 2006, 03:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a feeling that the w4-616s may be equal to or better than the 4" radio shack.
Old 18th September 2006, 03:45 AM   #10
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 616 has no highs, the -10 dB @ 15 Hz in the manufacturer's curve is for real. Nice midrange though. The bamboos have a touch of roughness caused by a peak around 8 kHz as I recall. A better overall choice full range to my ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!