Sonic T-amp and RS40-1354 speakers, now which speaker box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends what you call 'best'.

Terry Cain's original BIB enclosure was for the RS 40-1354, so if you've got at least a rear wall to load it, preferably corners, you'll be in business. It'll shock you, the amount of LF power you can get out of these little drivers.

Alternatively, Bob Brines' straight pipe which you'll find on the link below is also a great box. It depends on which design approach and methodology you prefer.

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/Straight_Pipe.html

need help on straight pipe!!

Scottmoose said:

Alternatively, Bob Brines' straight pipe which you'll find on the link below is also a great box. It depends on which design approach and methodology you prefer.

on the straight pipe design:

A. is the speaker mounted on the slanted or the straight vertical face?
B. is the port on the bottom on the same side as the speaker or on the rear?
C. I know nothing about electronic kit building, if I take the electronic baffle circuit to radioshack, can they put one together for a few $$?

thanks in advance.

gychang

Re: need help on straight pipe!!

gychang said:
on the straight pipe design:

A. is the speaker mounted on the slanted or the straight vertical face?

I built them with the driver on the vertical side, but since the driver is a little low, a case can be made for putting the driver on the sloped side.

B. is the port on the bottom on the same side as the speaker or on the rear?

I built them with the ports on the driver side, as I do with all of my speakers. However, there should be no problem with putting the port on the back side as long as the speaker is a foot or two from the wall.

C. I know nothing about electronic kit building, if I take the electronic baffle circuit to radioshack, can they put one together for a few $$?

Not a chance. They don't even have the parts you need. RS only interests any more are computers and cell phones.

Bob

Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Bob Brines said:

I built them with the driver on the vertical side, but since the driver is a little low, a case can be made for putting the driver on the sloped side.

I built them with the ports on the driver side, as I do with all of my speakers. However, there should be no problem with putting the port on the back side as long as the speaker is a foot or two from the wall.

Not a chance. They don't even have the parts you need. RS only interests any more are computers and cell phones.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the input, now I have to learn to read the electronic codes??

You mention lining the inside with vinyl using mastic tape, should I go to Home Depot floor dept or parts express and order particular part...

thanks in advance.

gychang

Scottmoose said:

is there a place that sell the electronic baffle circuit alreay made since I know nothing about the electronic circuit building...

gychang

Re: Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

gychang said:

You mention lining the inside with vinyl using mastic tape, should I go to Home Depot floor dept or parts express and order particular part...

gychang

Home Depot or a like store will have cheap vinyl floor tile. Mastic is the glue normally used to apply flooring. Alternatively, you could use "Liquid Nails".

In all of my current designs, I use 1/4" cement backer board and "Liquid Nails", but you would have to resize the "Straight Pipes" to use this thicker product.

Bob

Re: Re: Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Bob Brines said:

In all of my current designs, I use 1/4" cement backer board and "Liquid Nails", but you would have to resize the "Straight Pipes" to use this thicker product.

Bob

I will add 1/2" to the inside dimensions and use the cement backer board and liquid nails.

I appreciate your expert opinion very much, thank you.

gychang

gychang said:
I need to build my first DIY project. Is the BIB project the best for what I have?

Can it be done with RadioShack speaker?, anyone have experience/recommendation with the combo?

thanks,

gychang

I can't believe I almost missed this. I'm prolly not the best one to answer this, because I got a Super T, and not a regular SI T-amp. However, I am using 40-1354s with the T and I'd say that you'll be very happy. Here' s a link to my project.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84078

But if you got the room and the money, may as well go for the BIB

Re: Re: Sonic T-amp and RS40-1354 speakers, now which speaker box?

3-LockBox said:

I can't believe I almost missed this. I'm prolly not the best one to answer this, because I got a Super T, and not a regular SI T-amp. However, I am using 40-1354s with the T and I'd say that you'll be very happy. Here' s a link to my project.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84078

But if you got the room and the money, may as well go for the BIB

thanks 3-LockBox, you must think BIB is the way to go...

gychang

Re: Re: Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Bob Brines said:

Bob

Bob: I want to install the round port vent on the bottom, what size is the proper mix with the RS speaker?

thanks,

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.