Sonic T-amp and RS40-1354 speakers, now which speaker box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:58 AM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default Sonic T-amp and RS40-1354 speakers, now which speaker box?

I need to build my first DIY project. Is the BIB project the best for what I have?

Can it be done with RadioShack speaker?, anyone have experience/recommendation with the combo?

thanks,

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
gmilitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
There are a few design mentioned here:

help with RS 40-1354A speaker project

All the designs in there should be fine with T-Amp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Depends what you call 'best'.

Terry Cain's original BIB enclosure was for the RS 40-1354, so if you've got at least a rear wall to load it, preferably corners, you'll be in business. It'll shock you, the amount of LF power you can get out of these little drivers.

Alternatively, Bob Brines' straight pipe which you'll find on the link below is also a great box. It depends on which design approach and methodology you prefer.

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pa...ight_Pipe.html
__________________
Community site www.frugal-horn.com Commercial site www.wodendesign.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 01:52 AM   #4
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default need help on straight pipe!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Depends what you call 'best'.

Alternatively, Bob Brines' straight pipe which you'll find on the link below is also a great box. It depends on which design approach and methodology you prefer.

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pa...ight_Pipe.html

on the straight pipe design:

A. is the speaker mounted on the slanted or the straight vertical face?
B. is the port on the bottom on the same side as the speaker or on the rear?
C. I know nothing about electronic kit building, if I take the electronic baffle circuit to radioshack, can they put one together for a few $$?

thanks in advance.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 02:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Default Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

on the straight pipe design:

A. is the speaker mounted on the slanted or the straight vertical face?
I built them with the driver on the vertical side, but since the driver is a little low, a case can be made for putting the driver on the sloped side.

Quote:
B. is the port on the bottom on the same side as the speaker or on the rear?
I built them with the ports on the driver side, as I do with all of my speakers. However, there should be no problem with putting the port on the back side as long as the speaker is a foot or two from the wall.

Quote:
C. I know nothing about electronic kit building, if I take the electronic baffle circuit to radioshack, can they put one together for a few $$?
Not a chance. They don't even have the parts you need. RS only interests any more are computers and cell phones.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines


I built them with the driver on the vertical side, but since the driver is a little low, a case can be made for putting the driver on the sloped side.


I built them with the ports on the driver side, as I do with all of my speakers. However, there should be no problem with putting the port on the back side as long as the speaker is a foot or two from the wall.


Not a chance. They don't even have the parts you need. RS only interests any more are computers and cell phones.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the input, now I have to learn to read the electronic codes??

You mention lining the inside with vinyl using mastic tape, should I go to Home Depot floor dept or parts express and order particular part...

thanks in advance.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Depends what you call 'best'.

Alternatively, Bob Brines' straight pipe which you'll find on the link below is also a great box. It depends on which design approach and methodology you prefer.

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pa...ight_Pipe.html

is there a place that sell the electronic baffle circuit alreay made since I know nothing about the electronic circuit building...

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 09:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Default Re: Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang



You mention lining the inside with vinyl using mastic tape, should I go to Home Depot floor dept or parts express and order particular part...

gychang

Home Depot or a like store will have cheap vinyl floor tile. Mastic is the glue normally used to apply flooring. Alternatively, you could use "Liquid Nails".

In all of my current designs, I use 1/4" cement backer board and "Liquid Nails", but you would have to resize the "Straight Pipes" to use this thicker product.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 12:57 AM   #9
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: need help on straight pipe!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines


In all of my current designs, I use 1/4" cement backer board and "Liquid Nails", but you would have to resize the "Straight Pipes" to use this thicker product.

Bob
I will add 1/2" to the inside dimensions and use the cement backer board and liquid nails.

I appreciate your expert opinion very much, thank you.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 06:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Default Re: Sonic T-amp and RS40-1354 speakers, now which speaker box?

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang
I need to build my first DIY project. Is the BIB project the best for what I have?

Can it be done with RadioShack speaker?, anyone have experience/recommendation with the combo?

thanks,

gychang
I can't believe I almost missed this. I'm prolly not the best one to answer this, because I got a Super T, and not a regular SI T-amp. However, I am using 40-1354s with the T and I'd say that you'll be very happy. Here' s a link to my project.

Pics of my RS 1354 bipoles w/ PR

But if you got the room and the money, may as well go for the BIB
__________________
(insert clever anecdote here)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers mltaunt Multi-Way 20 19th February 2014 12:46 AM
metronome from RS40-1354? gychang Full Range 6 8th January 2007 01:56 PM
Sonic Impact 5066 with $100 speakers joecool Class D 7 20th May 2005 09:34 PM
Will a Sonic Impact Drive 2ohm speakers? Tuber Class D 1 22nd March 2005 06:32 PM
RS40-1044 8" Fullrange TQWT Design? hearing aid Full Range 3 13th April 2002 03:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2