Spawn of Frugel-Horn

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
To please Dave and get back on track, I have made it more "Frugel-like".....small driver and middle can be cut out....very odd thing this

Well, enough of that, too much excitement, and nothing build:xeye:

Attachments

• frugel square.png
    frugel square.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,931
tinitus said:
To please Dave and get back on track, I have made it more "Frugel-like".....small driver and middle can be cut out....very odd thing this

Well, enough of that, too much excitement, and nothing build:xeye:

That design does indeed work. It's common with pro audio subwoofers. There's a... errr... club in Vancouver called Cecil Lounge that has one of those under the stage.

tinitus said:
This will take a very experienced builder, and I am not sure it will be worth the trouble

Oh, hi Dave, yes It just got thinking of the "spiral" ?

This configuration actually has a benefit. If you keep them away from side walls, the higher frequencies from the horn will not interfere with the main output so much. I actually have a MTM in a similar configuration.

One down...

Finally got one Sprugel to the functional stage!
Currently playing Tori Amos from a personal CD player but sounding good for all that!
Another 3 weeks or so and I might have the other one built, and then I can think of finishing!
Yes, I know it's MDF, but I was finding Baltic a challenge to source, and in the end used the maxim of better te poorer choice than nothing at all!
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• cimg0676.jpg
    cimg0676.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,431
How about this?

tinitus said:
Played a bit, not much longer, but a bit

If I'm looking at this drawing correctly, the driver faces forward and the horn's mouth exits to either side. Is that correct? Then there wouldn't (shouldn't ?) be any problem doubling the depth adding a rear firing driver and having a bipole double sidefiring horn. I'm not sure that it's a good idea, but hopefully it's better that a really rotten idea. If I remember correctly, Kurt Chang (on another forum) showed a picture of a friend's speaker that had bipole front (and rear) horn loading.

Ok, that's about as clear as mud...............the front facing and the rear facing drivers both had a front loaded horn attached to the respective driver.
I'm not sure how you'd figure efficiency and spl levels for something like this though, I'm tired and the old brain's straining as it is.
Maybe tomorrow :^)
Best Regards,
TerryO

Re: One down...

dfreemansc said:
Finally got one Sprugel to the functional stage!
Currently playing Tori Amos from a personal CD player but sounding good for all that!
Another 3 weeks or so and I might have the other one built, and then I can think of finishing!
Yes, I know it's MDF, but I was finding Baltic a challenge to source, and in the end used the maxim of better te poorer choice than nothing at all!
Cheers
Dave

Nice one Dave. My test boxes are also MDF, for much the same reason (as well as cost). Glad you like it so far...

Some pictures of the cabinets now I've figured out how to extract them from the camera.

For reference, the finish on the sides, top and rear is 3 layers of B&Q own brand 'Sable', an oatmeal coloured satin paint, applied with a small roller over MDF primer. The front baffle is sprayed in textured, stone effect platicoat, and the inside of the horn mouths are pained sable, applied with roller and brush, with a thin layer of the stone finish over the top.

This last actually looks better in natural, constant light conditions than it appears in the pictures -these were taken at 7.30pm yesterday, when the light was nearly gone and the flash didn't do them any favours. In daylight, or under a lightbulb etc., the finish on the horn mouths appears much more even.

I decided not to include the mouth braces after first listening to them 10 days ago -despite the MDF, they didn't appear to need it. A little vibration, but not much -in a good 3/4in ply, I can't see anyone worrying.

Scott

Attachments

• dh1.jpg
    dh1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,460
Another angle. I'll give their plinths a quick slap of paint at some point soon as they're not too pretty.

The proportions of these things are stunning, if I do say so myself... (even if I'm hardly the greatest builder on the planet). And they sound fantastic too. Which is nice. BIG sound, but so precise.

Attachments

• dh7.jpg
    dh7.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,035
tinitus said:
Hi, GM, I take it by compression you mean "frontloaded" basshorn....thought about that too...turned 45 degree, up against the wall it will be big but dont take up much space.....or maybe backloaded still, with a nice coaxial

Greets!

Correctomundo! 'Pancaked' against a wall firing into the corners turns the whole end of the room into a subbass horn and you could 'pancake' stereo BLHs to the front of it to cover the rest of the BW.

GM

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ah, ok, have tried to draw a pure cornerhorn, no luck yet

Have remodelled and hopefully refined the one Dave liked

Actually it was Scott that inspired me, as he requested a bit more length without too much bends

Imagine to make those frugel-cutouts...gets veery sculptural

Attachments

• db horn.png
    db horn.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,639