Spawn of Frugel-Horn

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
germpod said:
Does anybody have an idea why they were using fostex fe206 drivers instead of fe207's? I am under the impression those enclosures work better with the fe207 drivers.

Sachiko likes 206, Half-Chang is better with FE207

He is using 206 because that is what he is used to. They were building a weird, cheap front-horn (think sorta Oris) for the 206. People seemed to like them

dave

broughd said:

So is there any sonic reason to mount them in the wall or am I just as well off sitting them in the corner of the room?

There is if there's no need to toe them in. Anyway, for HT you ideally want the speakers in a circle around the 'sweet spot', though there are HT receivers that can measure each speaker's output and EQ/level match/time delay each as required when either the room layout or SAF doesn't allow it. You could flush mount the CC and add baffle extensions ('wings') to the others.

GM

Attachments

• itu-r recommended listening room.gif
    itu-r recommended listening room.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 603
hey all,

I had seen the annoucement of new double horn speakers on ultrafitimes, and was kinda of anxious to see them, because I found the article on the Cephalopod by John Hasquin for the FE168E Sigma to be very interesting. I thought Larry was publishing some new double horn for us to build or buy from him if you can not build it yourself.

But I see that it didn;t turn out that way. Too bad but I am pleased that the Frugal Spawn gang got some respect. It would have been so easy to link to the site and then send 100$ for each pair sold and there would be no story.

Actually, now you have to question those amps and those dacs too. even if original we have the doubt even if it is just for a second... see how quick you can loose at this game.

Hiro with FE166ESR is it for me.
paba

thoburnse40 said:

Thanks. I can wait. Actually, I hope to be finishing my 'Iris' Frugal-Horns this weekend, so it is mostly curiosity about the new designs. :p

Last week I finished my BVR Iris' using Fostex FE167E drivers. They are my first diy speakers and they have 'issues', but look okay from at least 10 feet away. .:)

I was not to happy with the sound when I first powered them up, but that is to be expected with brand new drivers. I have about 25 hours on them now and they sound much better, but still a little thin and I'm hoping they will develop more bass as they break in. The imaging is fantastic. I suspect they need more break-in.

I used a single strand of Cat-5 for internal wiring. I have about 3.5 onces of poly-fill in the CC and no other treatment at this point. Will be interested to hear what other folks do in the CC.

One build note :xeye: When glueing the sides on I used a lot of weight, but failed to consider what would happen doing so on a table. As a result, my Iris' have a slight curve to them. :mad:

I tried to post a picture, but my camera will not create a file small enough to upload. Will need to see about shrinking the file somehow.

Overall, I am very pleased with my first efforts. I may build more BVR for the fun of it and to compare. I think the 4.5 inch with subwoofers may be the final ticket. I would like to build the Bruce (8 inch) as well.

Thanks for all the great designs and expert help. :)

Re: BVR Iris

thoburnse40 said:
Forgot to give my room dimensions. It is 20 feet wide and 35 feet long, but the back wall is not really a wall. It opens into the kitchen which adds another 12 by 25 feet. So, the speakers see a back wall 60 feet away. :eek:

What amp? In combination with the larger than average operating venue, a high damping factor SS or P/P tube might be contributing to the leanness.

Additionally, the drivers can certainly be expected to continue their blossoming until at least 200hrs of playing time.

Finally, if you haven't already experienced the EnABL phenomenon, you're not so far away from bluemenco that a road trip to audition what it can do with even a little driver could be enlightening, and Planet10 is not that far away either.
While the process will not elicit a substantial improvement in bass output, the overall gains are quite revelatory. If it sounds like I'm evangelizing for Dave's execution of Bud's tweak, that's a big affirmative.

Re: Re: BVR Iris

chrisb said:

What amp? In combination with the larger than average operating venue, a high damping factor SS or P/P tube might be contributing to the leanness.

I have a Golden Tube SE-40 Special Edition which is a 40 watt single ended design. I have highly modified it from stock using NOS paper in oil capacitors using a kit from Luc Vu out of Los Angeles (see yahoo group for Golden Tube Audio).

The pre-amp is a kit from diyhifisupply and is called a Basie. It is not the current design on their web page. I bought it a year or so ago and also bought all the upgrades available for it.

My CD player is a Linn Genke which I like very much.

I use Cardas cross-link cabling from the amp to the speakers and they are bi-wired.

My commercial speakers are Vandersteen 2Ce Signature Series.

Scottmoose said:
One other thing that I've found with my own 167s -they like a nice thick speaker cable to give of their best in the LF. 14ga minimum. I'm running 12ga at the moment and they're happy drivers.

Hi Scott.

Are your refering to internal wiring or the wiring from the amp? I used a single strand of Cat-5 because that seems to be the concensus on the forum (BTW, the different pairs DID have different twist rates :D )

I am using a single Cardass cross-link run (my commercial speakers are bi-wired) to the Iris'. Internally, there are four wires (two each for + and - ). I don't recall the gauge, but pretty hefty.

Re: Re: BVR Iris

chrisb said:

Finally, if you haven't already experienced the EnABL phenomenon, you're not so far away from bluemenco that a road trip to audition what it can do with even a little driver could be enlightening, and Planet10 is not that far away either.
While the process will not elicit a substantial improvement in bass output, the overall gains are quite revelatory. If it sounds like I'm evangelizing for Dave's execution of Bud's tweak, that's a big affirmative.

Yes. I have emailed Dave about getting my drivers upgraded. I understand that the upgrades for the 167 are not finalized yet. I do plan to have them upgraded at some point.

Re: Re: Re: BVR Iris

thoburnse40 said:

Yes. I have emailed Dave about getting my drivers upgraded. I understand that the upgrades for the 167 are not finalized yet. I do plan to have them upgraded at some point.

I think actually that he's already sent out some 167's to England for audit. Since that work was based on his extensive development on the FE126 / 7, they're already a substantial improvement over stock (particularly with the phase plugs, basket spoke damping and magnet "pillow")

It's the FE166 that he hasn't gotten around to yet - soon.

thoburnse40 said:

I tried to post a picture, but my camera will not create a file small enough to upload. Will need to see about shrinking the file somehow.

Thanks for all the great designs and expert help. :)

Try using Irfanview for manipulating your saved picutres. It is probably the most useful (and easy to use) imaging program outside of Photoshop and costs an infinite amount less (Free!!!). Amazingly enough, you can get it at http://www.irfanview.com/ .

Later,
Don

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thoburnse40 said:
One build note :xeye: When glueing the sides on I used a lot of weight, but failed to consider what would happen doing so on a table. As a result, my Iris' have a slight curve to them

I would check to make sure they did not develop any internal leaks suring the curving process.

These should be damped as bass reflexes are -- at least a layer of daming on 3 of the walls, and little or none in the middle.

The 6 & 8" mods are pretty much nailed down. R&D drivers are all in the UK for further independent evaluation. I will be doing up a set of FE166 for Ron & likely a set for Clark.

At the moment the FE167 is the top of the queue of candidates for an expansion of the range, but some ideas for the BOFU popped into my head just last night on those.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is certainly a curious development. I never got through reading the whole thread on EnAble.

Enable is a painted on technique. How would that differ from blind embossing the paper on the cone? Even though Fostex may never pick up on this, I'm still wondering.

My favorite line from the 80s: "She blinded me with Big Science."