Spawn of Frugel-Horn

Re: Re: Harvey or Chang or Sachiko

planet10 said:

The Saburo (skinny sachiko -- named after Saburo Sakai) is really targeted at the FE126 (all the Nagaoka-style double horns are for the low Q big magnet Fostex).

There are 2 Changs for the FE127 (undrawn & unnamed at the moment -- loninappleton do you have children?). I have to get some EnABLing done right now, but i'll see if i can get at least 1st pass on them done... they are based on the Classic GR Fonken & Floorstander Fonken (the later will be quite Needle or Zigmahornet in aspect)

dave

I have never been married and have no children.

No rush on getting out the Chang for 127e.

One idea I was playing with was being able to sample both with one build. I have my long sideboards cut and I've considered the possibility of making 2 different internal treatments. Chang is a BR box with narrow port where the box is the Compression Chamber and rear horn is a humoungus port. The Harvey's more nuanced CC would give a different effect. If I could do the back, top bottom and internals the same width, I could slap on the other side panel and be able to test the 2 styles with dry clamping.

In the mean time I'm going to finish off another set of high resistance speaker cable to see how it works with the GM MLTL.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: kids names

RKH said:
Oliver aka "Ollie"
Gabriel aka "Gabby"

I could post pictures if you wanted to test if the personality fit.

I like those. Scott? Pictures, sure

We usually like to alternate female/male names as we go alomg... but it isn't a rigid rule... will you build a Chang if we name it after your offspring...

"Dear, those are so BIG!!"

"But they are named after the kid..."

"Well OK then."

:)

dave

The boys

My master anglers ... Gabby (l) and Ollie (r) with a pike caught this past summer... whilst visiting their great grandmother in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Ryan

PS. Names or no, I'll probably still build what you guys put together...

Attachments

• ogfish2.jpg
    ogfish2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 655
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
loninappleton said:
I didn't actually know where this was going... Olivia

You have to watch me... sometimes i don't know where i'm going.

Olivia is the female counterpart to Oliver, maybe we can use Gabriel & Olivia for the 2 FE127 Changs.

You'd have to build one, and symmettry would be best filled if you each built a different one (but i'm not going to push that)

dave

Room sizes

Having looked at the Frugal Horn site, and read this entire thread, it would be great to have some sort of guidance on what size rooms these speakers are appropriate for. Perhaps, what distance apart the speakers should be and listener distance?

I have a room that is 13 x 14, with a 2.5' x 6.5' addition on the 13' side, so half the room is 15.5' long. I have a clean slate, this would be my first foray into the full range speaker world.

Thanks,
-Dwight

This is so room dependent even when they're nominally the same dims that I tend to ignore its size per se.

Speaker spacing OTOH normally forms an equilateral triangle with the listening distance 'sweet spot', with this point being up to 2x the speaker spacing depending on how 'focussed' the speaker's power response is, i.e. large point source 'fullrange' drivers and most FLHs need a longer distance and vice versa for smaller point source drivers and wide dispersion horns or WGs. Obviously, the amount of toe-in affects this.

Anyway, a good listening point in a typical room is typically at some golden or acoustic ratio between the sound (front) and reflection (rear) walls, so figuring everything else from this point is the best way to go IMO. High aspect ratio and/or non simple box shaped rooms have to be dealt with on an individual basis.

Too much fun! Slide the additional space section all the way toward the speaker and put a door in the corner. Then yep!

I am going to try and find the design that overlaps with a driver with the Metronome's so I can make one of each and see which one I want to keep or if it's worth getting another pair of drivers. I would prefer to not need a sub when I get done.

Thanks for your input.

-Dwight

There is a wide range of Fostex drivers, even after you decide what size you want. Is price a good indicator of performance? I can look at the specs for freq response, but when I look at the speaker graphs most of the drivers have a similar pattern.

In theory the human ear hears from 20hz to 20khz, so it seems like a 8 in would be best as it still get's to 20khz, but extends lower where the ear can hear it. And of course that all ignores the speaker cabinet...

How do you decide?

-Dwight

PS Currently have Thiel 2 2's, B&W 805's (not enough bass without sub).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
morgandc said:
There is a wide range of Fostex drivers, even after you decide what size you want. Is price a good indicator of performance? I can look at the specs for freq response, but when I look at the speaker graphs most of the drivers have a similar pattern.

Price is not an indicator... sort of. All depends on the set of compromises that best suit you (and the rest of your system). Now keep in mind that all my opinions are formed on modified drivers & not stock (because they can get a whole lot better than they come out of the box). My favorites are FE126/127. They lack the bass of the bigger drivers (but you will find your room is small enuff that they may well overload the room -- we found this with Chris' similar size room), and will lack the dynamics if you really want to move air, but the big drivers can't toucj=h the little ones for mid/top. The FExx7 drivers tend to be smoother then the FExx6 drivers but have a bit less jump.

n theory the human ear hears from 20hz to 20khz, so it seems like a 8 in would be best as it still get's to 20khz, but extends lower where the ear can hear it. And of course that all ignores the speaker cabinet...

To sound balanced the extension at the top should match the extension at the bottom. If not then the sonics will seem tipped up in the direction of greatest extension.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hard at work today working on catching up with some of the Spawns. Have done the FE127e Changs -- Gabriel, Brynn, & Olivia (FE126e may work with series R -- Scott has those sims in his queue)

1st up here are the 0v9 plans (QC everyone, Scott check to make sure i didn't miss something)

<links to bad files deleted>

Visualization of the 3 next to the Zigma (Brynn, Gabriel, Oliva, Zigmahornet) -- Olivia turns out to be quite a bit chunkier than Zigma...

dave

Attachments

• fe127changs.gif
    fe127changs.gif
    92 KB · Views: 666