Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2007, 09:22 AM   #501
diyAudio Member

Complete redesign to be honest. Balancing the pressures is an interesting aspect we might explore for future cabinets. Harvey can benefit from being angled backward slightly in smaller spaces, but that's really a room-interaction thing, and we went for a rapid end-correction to reduce potential boom at Fc. Re the operation, you're quite correct: in the current cabinets, the lower vent is loaded lower due to the floor's reflection boundry condition, while the upper vent blends in higher.

Different takes really. One (differentially sized vents) aims to balance both outputs, the other (physically symetrical vents)deliberately avoids having both mouths coming into play at a given frequency. Which is best? I don't know, & I suspect it'll be very much driver & objective dependant. Both approaches have their positives & negatives, so it'll be an interesting study for the future.
Old 15th April 2007, 07:17 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott, I'll keep my imagination in check on this one. A cabinet shop is ripping the baltic birch into strips tomorrow then (very slowly) I'm doing the rest myself. Thanks to everyone involved in making and publishing these plans!
Old 17th April 2007, 01:40 AM   #503
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

I finished building a pair of Harveys a few weeks ago and they are great sounding speakers.

At first I had them too close together in my living room and had "shout" problems with higher pitched vocals but then I rearanged a bit and put them further apart, closer to the side walls, and toed in a bit more and now I could not be happier. I get quality bass from them, and the midrange has great tone and life to it. Imaging is good though I supsect it would be better if I had a larger living room. I put a bit of stuffing in the CC when I was trying to tame the shout, but now I think I may be able to take it out.

Tilting them up raised the soundstage and helped a lot, especially since I am often standing when I listen to music. I just put a small piece of left over plywood under the fronts.

Next I am going to build a pair of BIBs for a friend using fe126's and then will have a comparison to post.
Old 19th April 2007, 01:20 AM   #504
SebR is offline SebR  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I will build those box soon but this Addison Electronics is the only full range speaker I found and its did'nt exist on Google. Anyone have spec. ?
Old 19th April 2007, 07:49 AM   #505
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to brucedal1
Default 1/2 of Bruce

I got 1/2 of Bruce together and am breaking in the 206 as I type. I like it, but I hope a little more bass starts making itself known. Maybe I'm just asking too much for a full-ranger.
Does anyone think a different cab would give much better performance in the lower registers?? I intentionally got the 206 instead of the 207 for this possibility. I was thinking if this didn't give me the response I was hoping for, perhaps a more proper horn instead of the "wave guide" might do it.
Then again, I've read quite a bit about how much better they sound after a thorough breaking in. I could be jumping the gun here. But, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

P.S. here's a pic, I hope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_bruce.jpg (48.8 KB, 1005 views)
Old 19th April 2007, 07:55 AM   #506
diyAudio Member

Well, Bruce really was designed for the 207 as it's a reflex box, and prefers a somewhat higher Q. If you add a couple of ohms series resistance to the 206, you'll find that helps, in this cabinet. Get the drivers to Xmax a few times to loosen them up too. You'll also find more bass weight coming in with the 2nd cabinet as more air is being shifted. Out of interest, what amp are you running? Looks very impressive BTW.

If you want an alternative enclosure, the Factory 208ESigma enclosure gives monster bass weight with the 206.

Old 19th April 2007, 08:17 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to brucedal1
Wow! No kidding, 8 ohms in series helped a BUNCH!!! I'll leave them breaking in tonight with some pink noise. Right now I just have them on an Aiwa Bookshelf system with a BSR EQ. I was hoping to use a Super T-amp but after hearing them, I think I might want a little more juice.

The brother should be done sometime tomorrow. And I think it looks nice, wish I was a better woodworker then I wouldn't just thank the designers for the good look!

Yup, I've read your ideas on the 208Sigma horn, and I think that was somewhere in the back of my mind.

Much thanks,
Bruce
Old 19th April 2007, 08:36 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

No problem -glad it helped out. You can juggle with the value a bit to get it to taste -I suspect you'll want to back it off a little when the second box is complete & playing alongside.

The other reason for the weak LF you had is that your amp was very probably over-damping the drivers (something else the added series resistance helps with). Most solid state amps have a high damping factor & need that series resistance to work properly with FR units.
Old 19th April 2007, 11:50 PM   #509
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

A high DF amp doesn't over-damp the driver per se, it just has such a low output impedance that it has no audible effect on the driver's Qts, so works best with higher Qt systems, ergo low DF amps work best with low Qt systems.

GM
Old 20th April 2007, 07:59 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the correction Greg. Learn something new every day...

Hide this!Advertise here!