Spawn of Frugel-Horn

Figures. Actually, I think that's a brilliant idea. Bet the local council, or whatever equivalent would witter about 'health & safety' as a way of wriggling out of it unfortunately.

Up side -those cabinets look like they're coming on very nicely indeed.

Second up-side: Derek, who's black Sachiko's are shown on the Frugal-horn site, has just sent me some images of the 126 cabinet based on this layout / design. Here's one of the shots he sent -you can see his black, full-size cabinets with FE206ES-R's lurking in the background. I think they look sensational. :)

Attachments

• sachiko126.jpg
    sachiko126.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,050
You are right Scott, they look great in Black, and I have considered this myself, but I am a little unsure I would be able to pull it off, though it would look cool and hide the odd imperfection in the grain of the wood. I will look into it further, I may be able to hire some spray kit to do the job. Steve.

I got asked this elsewhere -the updated text I wrote for the Spawn pages should hopefully clarify things a bit once it's up.

Like most things in this life, it's a yes & no situation. Yes, you can convert an existing box, assuming it's suitable for conversion (you need to account for vent location & internal standing waves which affect the response). Also yes, that's what the flare does. As such, it does have an effect on the response, so you do need to size it right. Ideally, you want it to have the minimum apparant effect on the modelled FR.

Re: Modeling these beasties

badman said:

With the BVRs, could an existing tuned cabinet be converted to BVR operation by adding a flare?

Greets!

Well, to put this in an easy way to visualize this, if you can design a horn extension for your mouth that doesn't change your voice's timber and tonal balance, then yes, but getting it right is no trivial pursuit, so the short answer is no for most folks.

GM

Scottmoose said:
Figures. Actually, I think that's a brilliant idea. Bet the local council, or whatever equivalent would witter about 'health & safety' as a way of wriggling out of it unfortunately.

Up side -those cabinets look like they're coming on very nicely indeed.

Second up-side: Derek, who's black Sachiko's are shown on the Frugal-horn site, has just sent me some images of the 126 cabinet based on this layout / design. Here's one of the shots he sent -you can see his black, full-size cabinets with FE206ES-R's lurking in the background. I think they look sensational. :)

Scott, do you know how Derek painted the sachiko's? and also those thinner versions for the 126, they look absolutley fab too!

Scottmoose said:
If I can find time, I'll design a one-off. Time is something I don't have much of at present, but I'll do my best. It'd have to be a clean-sheet box as none of the existing cabinets can be halved.

I appreciate that you are willing to put some time in it.
Like I mentioned already I am not in a hurry as the drivers will come in a few weeks.
So far thanks alot in advance!

Harvey or Chang or Sachiko

I bought wood today. Found some 8x4 cabinet grade birch ply on deal at the HD and had the guy rough cut some pieces for my next over the winter build.

Any last words on the Harvey, Chang or Sachiko for the FE127e?

I have things cut oversize and will have everything re cut to square and measurments.

Last time I was in here, the Chang design was not recommended for the FE127 because of small excursion (Xmax) as I recall. The Sachiko may be for the larger Fostex drivers only.

That leaves the Harvey and her compression chamber design for the
Fostex.

No rush-- this is my winter project.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Harvey or Chang or Sachiko

loninappleton said:
Any last words on the Harvey, Chang or Sachiko for the FE127e?

The Saburo (skinny sachiko -- named after Saburo Sakai) is really targeted at the FE126 (all the Nagaoka-style double horns are for the low Q big magnet Fostex).

There are 2 Changs for the FE127 (undrawn & unnamed at the moment -- loninappleton do you have children?). I have to get some EnABLing done right now, but i'll see if i can get at least 1st pass on them done... they are based on the Classic GR Fonken & Floorstander Fonken (the later will be quite Needle or Zigmahornet in aspect)

dave