Spawn of Frugel-Horn

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aengus said:
Did I miss a post where these are mentioned? If not, are you going to tell us what drivers you have in mind for these, or was that a teaser?

I think i even posted a 1st round thot experiment picture. A 2 L box.

Planned driver is the FF85K (only Fostex that will fit in a small enuff box). It also is the most interesting of the 3" with a Sigma-class surround.

dave

Attachments

• ff85k.jpg
    ff85k.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 834
germpod said:
For me the zigmahornet shaped enclosure for the fe127 is very exciting. I was going to start experimenting and increase the size of the original zigmahornet to try to get it to work with a friends fe127 drivers but if you have a similar one designed by the pro's then all the better.

Greets!

It really is too tall/skinny for best performance, but if they will be near a back wall, then with a CSA = ~35"^2 and ~1.875" dia. vent (assumes 0.5" thick material) and either some series resistance and/or a high output impedance amp it might perform OK:

GM

Attachments

• fe127e zigmahornet style mltl with 2.6 ohms series r.gif
    fe127e zigmahornet style mltl with 2.6 ohms series r.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 758
planet10 said:
When you say flare that usually refers to the shape of the horn biys... we use a 45 degree champher bit after curring the hole & rebate with the CNC machine (but a hole saw would do)

dave

No CNC in my part of town-- I've never even seen one. And my hand tools are minimal to boot. My routing chores are done with one of those zip tool kits and a $6 USD bit. Fortunately I know someone with a table saw.

I guess it is time for me to quit lurking. Here are a couple pics from this weekend. This is my first full range project, let me know what you all think. (obviously not complete yet)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Excellent, my sachiko's will be making an appearance soon (I hope!) My advice to anybody building a largish speaker?...

A, Get a table saw.

B, If you do not have a table saw, beg borrow or steal one.

C, get a table saw. If you do not have one see point B.

No kidding..lol

I DO NOT have a table saw, but I do have a jigsaw that almost melted and a few not so straight cuts...

:)

aquapiranha said:
Excellent, my sachiko's will be making an appearance soon (I hope!) My advice to anybody building a largish speaker?...

A, Get a table saw.

B, If you do not have a table saw, beg borrow or steal one.

C, get a table saw. If you do not have one see point B.

No kidding..lol

I DO NOT have a table saw, but I do have a jigsaw that almost melted and a few not so straight cuts...

:)

This is off topic, but the speaker building hobby has caused me to try to figure out how community workshops can be established again in towns and cities. In the early 60's there were Do It Yourself centers where tools were available. I figured that would be a good adaptive reuse of things like small older supermarkets which have been lying dormant. These could be used for such a purpose.

However I have yet to get community support from the government on this.