Spawn of Frugel-Horn

Basic finish now just about done. Should get to the tweaking stage over the weekend, or early next week, with any luck. Pictures to come. Oatmeal panels with stone effect front baffle. Odd choice, but that's because it was what I had in the garage! Looks quite good IMO. Veneer would be stunning, but funds don't allow that, especially for test mules. I'm thinking this figured satinwood would be just the ticket... a friend wants a pair for her bedroom and this finish would suit her down to the ground.

Scott

Attachments

• figured satinwood.jpg
    figured satinwood.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,867
Indeed. I didn't have Onur's design in mind when I came up with these things, more TC's IM BENs (not that I know anything about their internals), but the concept is roughly similar. Nothing novel about it though -BVR horns have been around since the dawn of time, just as long as small CC, longer pathlength versions; they just haven't been used as much for hifi, which is why I fancied going for one. Nice to do something a bit different.

I'm toying with the idea of cramming a long-path-length version into the same size cabinet as some people (usually the one's who've never heard them) object to the short horn, large CC types & we might as well cater to all tastes. I'll work on that some over the coming months anyway.

Best
Scott

Ah. Thanks. Not something I've ever worried about a great deal, mainly because I rarely design anything with more than about 1 fold so it's never been an issue. I wonder if this is partially the cause of some people's dislike of the heavily folded Nagaoka-type designs, which deliberately go for lots of folds to maximise horn path-length for a given box size. I'll reserve judement, as usual, until I can explore it more, but interesting.

True. Basically, nothing much over 100Hz or so, bar a spike up in the 500Hz regions, which I haven't yet figured how to clobber (assuming it's audible) gets out of this thing.

Sorry I got somewhat lost earlier -had a few things churning around what passes for my mind so I wasn't quite on top form. Yes, reflections are a pain; one of the reaons I rarely bother with multiple folds. The long pathlength version of the doublehorn I'm planning will be far more subject to these issues as there's considerably more internal bends. I'm trying to figure the best internal layout at present as I'm not sure I fancy an 80in line ricocheting backward and forward for almost it's entire length! At the moment, I'm erring toward a variation of the FE166E layout. Nagaoka style or a 'proper' flare will both be possible. The response has more ripple than the BVR type, but it should suit those who want an amazingly easy build, or who prefer the small CC horns and want a bit more gain in the LF regions. Although the current one needs a little tweaking, it's pretty much ready now.

Best
Scott

Nice work guys! Creativity is the name of the game. Mind, if you want 'easy' you should try the Nagaoka-style long path double horns I'm working on. All right angles, butt-joints and very simple sizing. We're looking at whole numbers halves and quarters. That's it. A 10 year old could build them, accurately, as a school project. Only thing they'd need help with would be cutting the driver hole. I've seen harder Lego kits.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member