Spawn of Frugel-Horn - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 02:11 AM   #1591
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Lotus | the 1st Mark Audio Spawn

Scott & I have both been working on new enclosures for the Mark Audio drivers.

This is the 1st one out the gate, Lotus MBVR for the Mark Audio CHR-70.

Click the image to open in full size.

Plans aren't yet up on the Frugal-Horn site, but the plans are there

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/...map-130409.pdf

Scott has suggested an interesting twist to this one -- by the sims it is capable of supporting 1 or 2 drivers per box.

dave
Old 14th April 2009, 08:15 AM   #1592
diyAudio Member

Shades of a certain (very different type of) box a few years back -designed for one driver, but should be happy with two. These things happen on occasion.

Anyway, it's a compact box designed for modest spaces & SPLs. Minimum recommended listening distance is 6ft. Obviously, not one for the headbangers with a barn conversion, but if you're short on budget, favour subtlety on folk, jazz, blues, small-piece classical etc., & have a more normal space, this could be right up your street.
Old 29th April 2009, 02:44 PM   #1593
diyAudio Member

For the Markaudio Alpair 10: Jaguar -first pass plan. Like Lotus & the new Riley box for the Alpair 6 (next on the list), it'll accept 1 unit, or 2 in series. Bit previous, as Dave hasn't had chance to draw up the 'proper' plans yet, but as interest in the MA drivers is unsurprisingly increasing, I figured the time had come for an intitial airing (although I want to make it plain the walrus is innocent, and cannot be held responsible).
Attached Images
File Type: gif jaguar.gif (20.7 KB, 1625 views)
Old 29th April 2009, 03:49 PM   #1594
diyAudio Member

Been wondering, and given the recent designs this seems like a valid place to ask:

When you design a box for two drivers, does it matter if you hook them up series or parallel? Do T/S params or box design care about this your choice here?

I didn't think so, but then I realized I wasn't sure...
Old 29th April 2009, 03:55 PM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Yes, it does make a difference. All three boxes of this type I've done for the Markaudio drivers (3rd for the Alpair 6 coming shortly) assume series wiring.

2 drivers in series, Sd, Vas, Re, Le, Bl all double. SPL remains per single unit. 2 drivers in parallel, Sd & Vas double, Re & Le are halved; effective increase of 3db in practice.
Old 29th April 2009, 04:24 PM   #1596
diyAudio Member

Ah ha. Once again, that which seemed simple from a distance sprouts further complexity when approached.

With your advice I am fore-armed. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2009, 04:56 PM   #1597
diyAudio Member

It's just something to be aware of. For e.g., with the MA drivers, I went with series wiring because they're already relatively low impedance units, so parallel wiring would drop things below 2ohms, which is a nightmare load for most amplifiers.
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:36 AM   #1598
diyAudio Member

Lurking for a while, first post.

Wondering if there has been any further development on the curved fronts for the saburos?

Have had a set of mules set up since Christmas and these just keep getting better! Would like to see if there is more performance to be squeezed out of these yet.

Would the curved front change the sweet spot for the listening position, or does listening position stay similar (same) and time alignment is more correct?

Listening room is 14'x50', current sweet spot approx 13' out.

MANY thanks to Scottmoose for these designs!
Old 2nd May 2009, 06:25 AM   #1599
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by archrival
Would like to see if there is more performance to be squeezed out of these yet.
If your drivers are stock there is a whole lot more you can get out of them.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...60#post1773260

dave
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:38 AM   #1600
diyAudio Member

Followed that thread with much interest, build was going on about the same time.

This pair of drivers is probably approaching 450-500 hours.(previously in iBIB and A126) Basket arms have been damped, magnet to basket "junction" has been filled for air flow, 5/16" underlay on back of magnets to reduce reflections. Have not yet found puzzlecoat.

Have been re-reading many of the posts regarding curved mouths and how these release the sound waves. Re-read the bubble analogy one of the Austin 126 threads and it makes partial sense to me. I can visualize how the curve would allow the sound wave to esapce more spherically.

However, I am still trying to grasp how the curved front "combines" the three points of origin into one sound wave front. My understanding is that at lower frequencies (ie frequecies at the mouths), sound waves would look most like waves around pebbles dropped into water.

This is where I get stuck, because the waves off of two (or three in this case) pebbles dropped beside each would pass through each other instead of combining into one wave front.

What am I missing?????

Hide this!Advertise here!