Picture of modified JX92S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I found a picture of the modified jx92s.Hope it hasn't appeared before on this forum.Did the search and only found some members requesting the possible mods to this fine driver.

Has anyone done this mod? It looks but ugly,then again maybe with the same colour wood as the enclosures.....

Didn't the jx92s have a sort of "axle" inside it,which moves with the cone?

http://earthshakingmusic.com/JSM-BLACK.html

Colin said:
As Dave says, the 125 and 150 had a thin rod attached to the dustcap which acted as part of the rear suspension. This also featured on the original 50mm unit and the old Jordan Watts module but the JX92 uses a conventional suspension.
Now you've sparked my interest, I alsway thought the Jordan Watts had three rods in the rear as suspension. The hole in the front does not seem possible to support the center rod. I kind of suspected the 50mm module had somthing there with the wires coming out from the back.

Which Jordan driver is this ?

It is stated in many sites as jx92s,but now I can see it is different.

The rubber (cone support?) goes inward and the magnet housing is not flat.

Attachments

• jordan.jpeg
    jordan.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 648
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
soongsc said:

Now you've sparked my interest, I alsway thought the Jordan Watts had three rods in the rear as suspension. The hole in the front does not seem possible to support the center rod. I kind of suspected the 50mm module had somthing there with the wires coming out from the back.

It has been 25 years since i've had a close look at one, but that is my recollection too.

dave

The old Jordan-Watts module did not have rods, but a rather unconventional spider.

This consisted of three long very springy berylium wires fastened tangentally to the top of the voice coil/cone junction at one end, and to three solder tags at the junction of the magnet/ main housing. They were spaced equidistant from each other.

The length of these and the tangental fastening allowed them to flex, but did cause the cone to have a small rotating motion.

This worked very well, but the solder tags are fastened to the frame by small screws which are not strong enough to stop the wires moving under shock loading of the (relatively) heavy cone when the unit is moved. This allows the cone to go out of centre and the voice coil rub. However recentering can be carried out with a bit of care.

The front cone surround was conventional foam, but square rather than round in shape.

rjb said:
The old Jordan-Watts module did not have rods, but a rather unconventional spider.

This consisted of three long very springy berylium wires fastened tangentally to the top of the voice coil/cone junction at one end, and to three solder tags at the junction of the magnet/ main housing. They were spaced equidistant from each other.

The length of these and the tangental fastening allowed them to flex, but did cause the cone to have a small rotating motion.

This worked very well, but the solder tags are fastened to the frame by small screws which are not strong enough to stop the wires moving under shock loading of the (relatively) heavy cone when the unit is moved. This allows the cone to go out of centre and the voice coil rub. However recentering can be carried out with a bit of care.

The front cone surround was conventional foam, but square rather than round in shape.
Those are what I call rods.:)
The Jordan Watts that I have have rubber concaved surround with foam on the outside that sort of looks like it's there to reduce diffraction waves.

Late reply,but funny to see that "6moons" was also mislead about the jx-92s.

Konus Essence review:

"With its aluminum die-cast chassis, "Controflex" metal foil diaphragm and unique spider that attaches to the cone's center via a light metal tube passing axially through the magnet, the JX92s is very special."

:eek:

Seems this thread is a classic case of a problem with this forum. Too many wanting to be the expert on any or all given areas.

Let us assume that in the Jordan Watt era that production changes were made just like production changes are being made in current jr6x series.

Thus, just because the information any given self appointed expert may have is different, doesn' t mean that every other possibility is wrong.

Indeed, there was a production series of Jordan Watt modules that used a rod connecting the center of the metal cone through the vented pole piece to a suspension element located behind the magnet assembly. Voice coil leads were also wrapped around this rod and were connected to multi-strand wires also mounted on the back of the magnet assembly.

I have a sample of this version of the Jordan Watt module. Just because I have this sample does not mean that there were not versions using wires for the rear suspension and so on.

Think more and post less,

Mark

Hi Mark,

"Seems this thread is a classic case of a problem with this forum. Too many wanting to be the expert on any or all given areas."

This is what happen with any forum, not necessarily a "problem", without members contribution we won't have a good forum, sometimes we can cross check information this way, and get more information from others contribution, I wouldn't put people opinion as "wanting to be the expert" though, most of the people who ask question would be happy if there's any information.

"Indeed, there was a production series of Jordan Watt modules that used a rod connecting the center of the metal cone through the vented pole piece to a suspension element located behind the magnet assembly. Voice coil leads were also wrapped around this rod and were connected to multi-strand wires also mounted on the back of the magnet assembly."

This is a very good information, thanks, keep posting ! ;)

cheers,
Hartono

MarkMcK said:

Indeed, there was a production series of Jordan Watt modules that used a rod connecting the center of the metal cone through the vented pole piece to a suspension element located behind the magnet assembly. Voice coil leads were also wrapped around this rod and were connected to multi-strand wires also mounted on the back of the magnet assembly.

I have a sample of this version of the Jordan Watt module. Just because I have this sample does not mean that there were not versions using wires for the rear suspension and so on.

Think more and post less,

Mark

Can you post a picture of this Jordan Watts module you are talking about? My Jordan Watts modules don't seems to have anything from the center of the cone through the pole piece.
:confused: I would like to obtain a pair of these you talk about if they are available.

The only models I know of with rods going through the pole piece are the JX125 and JX150.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.