Attention Raffi and Till (Roemhild)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did some basic dimensions for something similar here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=975247#post975247

See post 6. It's not drawn, and this is a rough 1st pass -I'm currently, amongst a few other projects, working on a more refined version. No drawing -that you'd have to do for yourself, but the dims needed are there. Might be of use anyway.

Regards
Scott

Thanks Scott,

Interesting. I designed a double horn (to enable large mouth), rear fairing (for corner loading), based on the parameters of the Fostex factory design (for the 206esr), this is kind of huge – 2 meter high.

I run simulation using Hornresp 10.0 (with very similar parameters) and got different results than you. There is a dip in the FR at ~100Hz. Once more, if I “force” the path length between the direct radiator and the moth to be short (50cm or shorter), the dip vanishes.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks

It sounds huge!

Without knowing the exact dimensions you were using, it's difficult to say why you're getting the dip. I don't know HornResp very well, and I have suspicions about it's accuracy -I use Martin King's MathCad worksheets instead.

I'm probably being more than usually stupid, but I'm not sure about the sort of horn you're modelling -was it a BVR type, or a (sort of) doubled version of the Factory horn?

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Assuming I understand the question........ IIRC Hornresp assumes a straight FLH without a rear cover (no compression chamber), so it calcs the dipole cancellation between the driver and mouth whereas MJK chose to assume for ease of programming that the mouth and driver's output is emanating from the same point, ergo no dipole cancellation, only pathlength differences through the horn.

Is the distance from the driver to the mouth ~68" (~173 cm)?

GM

hi

my first try:

BL-Horn

length: 0.95m
throad: 95cm²
opening: 2800cm²
volumen: ~40liters

Attachments

• fe206es-r_bl095.jpg
    fe206es-r_bl095.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 728
Hi Roemhild

I'd been following your design concept since last year. I believe it's an excellent concept and just couldn't resist to build one for experiment.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the drivers you simulate, the only decent pair of drivers I have is as follows:-

Coral Flat 6B
Parameter
Fo 68Hz
Qms 5.671
Qes 0.433
Qts 0.402
Vas 31.346 L

Could you kindly do a BL-Horn of your resonance theory model for me please.

Cheers

Audio_idiot said:
Hi Roemhild

I'd been following your design concept since last year. I believe it's an excellent concept and just couldn't resist to build one for experiment.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the drivers you simulate, the only decent pair of drivers I have is as follows:-

Coral Flat 6B
Parameter
Fo 68Hz
Qms 5.671
Qes 0.433
Qts 0.402
Vas 31.346 L

Could you kindly do a BL-Horn of your resonance theory model for me please.

Cheers

Hi

I will try my best and post the result tonight.

cya Till

Roemhild said:
hi

my first try:

BL-Horn

length: 0.95m
throad: 95cm²
opening: 2800cm²
volumen: ~40liters

Roemhild,

Thanks so much for your response.
Some more questions:
1. The driver Fs is 42Hz, won’t you try to take the FR lower?
2. As I understand, the FR plot is a combination of the direct radiator and the BL horn (180 degree out of phase plus delay)?

Thank you again

Audio_idiot said:
Thank,

The cureves looks ok to me, but will the dip between 250hz to 500hz have any effect on the mids?

Cheers

Hi Audio

No not really. In most cases the room makes more problems than the speaker FR. I dont know if your room has a breakein at this frequency or not. For example my room has a problem with 150Hz. All my speakers have a dip in this range. Noone has ever heared that dip. But after I have shown the FR most people suddenly heared that "problem".

ConExp said:

Roemhild,

Thanks so much for your response.
Some more questions:
1. The driver Fs is 42Hz, won’t you try to take the FR lower?
2. As I understand, the FR plot is a combination of the direct radiator and the BL horn (180 degree out of phase plus delay)?

Thank you again

Hi ConExp

to 1) I never go under the FS of the driver. If you try so the driver will have a bigger amplitude at this frequency with out a benefit. The driver can't play deeper as its FS. Only way to get the driver deeper is with a actve correction.

to 2) yes.

regards Till

Scottmoose said:
It sounds huge!

Without knowing the exact dimensions you were using, it's difficult to say why you're getting the dip. I don't know HornResp very well, and I have suspicions about it's accuracy -I use Martin King's MathCad worksheets instead.

I'm probably being more than usually stupid, but I'm not sure about the sort of horn you're modelling -was it a BVR type, or a (sort of) doubled version of the Factory horn?

I’m sorry for the confusion, definitely my mistake.

1) First design was based on the factory design with the following modifications: 1) double horn 2) mouth to the back 3) the last portion of the horn (~30cm) expands rapidly to provide a mouth of ~4000cm^2. (I don’t know how to post the design pic. here so for the moment I’ll skip it ) For this design Hornsep predicts very ugly response.
2) Another approach was the Bl-horn “Roemhild” style. I played around back chamber of 50L, length of 1m to 1.5m and throat of ~0.5Sd. for this I got the said deep around 100Hz. After I saw your parameters (0.2*Sd etc) I run it with Hornresp and got relatively flat response, Bravo.

Now I need to decide between the three options: 1) the big rear moth version of the factory design 2) BL-horn or 3) BIB (easy to build etc).

Thank you all for your great help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.