Working on my 1st project, at last.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After many months of reading posts and asking questions, I've finally started my first full range speaker project. My initial decission was to go with the W3-871s but ended up getting the Hi-Vi B3S. My decision was based on the good reputation of the B3S, my total lack of woodworking skills and the fact that when I was about to order the 871s Parts Express was selling the Hi-Vi for a ridiculously low price of $7.18.

I overcame my lack of wood working skills by finding a local lumber place to cut a piece of 1/2 inch mdf for me according to Zaph's plans. So far I glued the panels together and using a jig saw, cut a semi-round hole, with a 45 degree angle.

I decided to hook up one of the drivers, held on to the baffle with masking tape, for a test run. All I can say is wow. I'm amazed at the amount of sound coming out of this tiny driver in this relatively small enclosure. (I may be semi-quoting someone here). I haven't even stuffed them yet, there's no filter and they sound fantastic. Granted I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, so my living room is aproximately 12x12, but the amount of bass these produce is way above their means.

That's the design I used. I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 547
Thought I'd add a small update. I put together the 2nd speaker and completely stuffed both with polly fill. The bass is now tighter and the highs are smoother. The few people that have heard these little guys, even in their unfinished state, were all impressed. Now I just have to finish sanding, prime, paint and re-assemble them. I'll post a photo of the finished pair when they're completed.

BTW, I'm running them off an inexpensive Pioneer home theater receiver using 12 guage speaker wire. The actual speakers are wired with 16 guage wire. The receiver's loudness setting is on.

Just to add some photos of the build. Here's an inside the cabinet shot. I cut the wood blocks out of scrap wood and then glued them in each corner. The front baffle will be attached to these with screws.

Attachments

• b3s inside cab.jpg
    b3s inside cab.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 323
Godzilla said:
Doesn't look like you used enough glue inside the box.

Just kidding. Enjoy your speakers!

Will you be building a small powered sub in the future?

Godzilla

lol, it's wood filler just for an extra seal in the corners. I already have a sub but I'm using these w/o it. They really do produce a good amount of bass especially when placed close to the wall. Like I said, a very surprising amount and quality of sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.