fullrange/midbass driver I can run without crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small Fostex full range (FE88ES-R) I am going to run on the front baffle of a small floor stander design I have in mind (inspired by Omega Super 3 XRS), and would like to run another 8 ohm speaker on the rear baffle that will help add some ambience and some bass at the same time. I don't need deep bass as I will be using a small sub, but I do want to skip using any circuits in the signal path between amp and speaker. Since my Fostex cover 120hz and up quite nicely, and my sub will handle everything below 80hz, I am looking for a midbass or full range driver that is:

1) Inexpensive (less than $100/pair US would be great, would pay a little more if the stars line up...)

2) Has reasonably strong output in the 70-100z region (not too worried about ragged response in the upper mids to highs as I will use mechanical solution, as in a gutter filled with stuffing that faces the driver blocking and absorbing most high freq output as it should be beaming, but spaced out a few inches so the bass and mid-bass is free to escape and wrap around the cabinet to support the front firing driver)

3) not greater than 10 inch flange or 4.5 inches in mounting depth

NOTE: and I guess I should point out that my receiver will set a high pass filter at 80hz so anything below that will be on a second order slope and blending into the subwoofer.. so these aren't goint to be true full range, crossover-less designs, but close : )

Any ideas? I am really scratching my head on this one as I have more faith in subjective experience from others on this one rather than looking at response charts as you never know what kind of character a driver is going to have if left to run full range on its own.

Thanks for any and all ideas, (including criticisms/ideas on my speaker system concept in general...)

Greggo
Asheville, NC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.