Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

i want speaker to disappear
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2006, 08:31 AM   #11
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

A flat panel NXT system sounds ideal for you.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th August 2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That sounds like The Way Forward.
Old 6th August 2006, 11:15 AM   #13
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
As I understand it, flat panels don't get very low, but i will look into NXT flat panels anyway to please the kittens. however for gaming, i need some better extension down low so I am looking into scootmoose's advice about getting a 6.5". maybe a 5" or 6" might work too, i don't know. the FF85K looks too small to sound heavenly and i am afraid sound will lack body. my games have a lot of classical music so i need the boom boom boom. extension to 80Hz? thnx. but extension to 20kHz is no thnx, i prefer attentuated treble. treble is for nelly furtado and rap music, not classical music and games. i've been building nice speakers for a while, so i'm not looking for the best all-around speakers 'cause honestly my speakers are taking up half of the entire house space. so i just want the most heavenly speakers (yes, i do think it'll work great with DOOM). i have a lot of money to spend on this project, literally a million bucks, so there isn't really a budget but i do beleive that you can get heavenly sound for a cheap price due to all the expert advice this forum.

what do you guys think about the fostex sigma drivers? they look like neat little things, and the enclosures seem narrow enough to fit on my table. the drivers are so beautiful, just looking at it makes me very happy. i'll probably buy them anyway just so i can touch their cones with my fingers.
Old 6th August 2006, 02:02 PM   #14
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

You could have a look at this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...949&highlight=
Old 6th August 2006, 06:07 PM   #15
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
A flat panel NXT system sounds ideal for you.

Nope.. I have them as well (..the best of the TDK's) - its good, but not that good.

Scott:

Also a subwoofer crossed over high isn't a problem with most near-field computer set-ups. For instance the TDK's I have almost certainly have the subwoofer around 150 Hz +, and it isn't a problem.

cotdt:

..after factoring the effects of baffle diffraction the sigma looks very good with the Solo 103. (..you might need to do some alteration to the box/porting to get the response you want though.) Of course you don't have a bucking magnet with this driver.
Old 6th August 2006, 06:42 PM   #16
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default fe167e in br........

fe167e in a good small BR cab will do the dissapearing act that you seak easily,get a cheap class D active sub ran thru high pass, in the mix set @ about 100hz & your in the game like no tommorrow, put phase plugs in the fe176e's & you are REALY in the game..........
Old 6th August 2006, 07:32 PM   #17
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

My $.02

If your room is setup in a way to allow it. Bipolar arrangement with the speakers placed on the sides of you. Front drivers aimed in the direction your facing and rear drivers aimed behind you. I built a pair using TB W-4 1052SA drivers and they sound great. When placed like this, you can't tell where the sound is coming from, but it will surround you. Regardless of the driver you choose, it would be recommended to add a sub for PC gaming. The full range sound can have adaquate bass for most music(except rap house, ect), when placed right. As far as gaming goes, you won't get that "thud" that punches you in the gut, which is a must IMO.
Old 7th August 2006, 06:34 AM   #18
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
what about using the drivers facing upwards. The reverbrance might make the driver less noticeable.

I also agree that above 80Hz bass is quite directional and if you really want to use a 3 pc system (bass-sat) you would need a driver that is useable to 80Hz in your application (SPL levels and location).

This really means using drivers 4" and larger (Fostex 103, 107, 126, 127, Jordan Jx92, Veravox 5, Supravox 135, etc...) from 80Hz upwards and a small tight sub below 80Hz. A boomy sub will draw too much attention (like many PC gaming speakers).

Larger drivers will allow lower cut offs but at the cost of beaming or a ragged HF response. Upfiring such drivers might aleviate these issues to some extent.
Old 9th August 2006, 04:36 AM   #19
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default i want speaker to disappear

then dude, close your eyes.....:-)

seriously, there have been only as handfull of loudspeakers that I have heard that actually disappear. Almost all have been small enclosure monitor style (ProAc Response 1s come to mind, the NHT Super Zeros are another, Totem Mites, etc.), narrow tall baffled (Totem Arro-I have only listened to these for a short period of time) or super wide baffled. I won't keep nagging about open baffles, but if you have the oppotunity to hear some, give them a try. The Basszillas that I have listened to do this as well (another wide baffle solution).

Everyone has their faves, but I think that to" disappear", speakers must have good phase characteristics, and good transient response with no or little diffraction issues from the baffle.

From this it would make sense that any good full ranger, in a properly built box (BR , etc), or OB could fit the bill (unless I've missed something here, and I am guilty of that often enough).

If feeling adventurous a Lowther "Ace" enclosure could be interesting...(even without a Lowther driver..)
Old 9th August 2006, 05:08 AM   #20
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Default i want speaker to disappear

Cotdt
Post your address, leave the keys under the welcome mat.

i want speaker to disappearHide this!Advertise here!