Austin 166's in Austin - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2006, 06:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Austin 166's in Austin

I built a pair of Ron's Austin 166's and now that I have a few pictures and some measurements I figured I should post.

They sound phenomenal. I previously had these FE-166s in a BK-16, these trounce them in every way.

pics
Click the image to open in full size.

and

Measurements (done with Room EQ Wizard and a RS meter with a replacement panasonic electret and some modifications):

This is L+R average then 1/3 octave smoothed. The 80-100HZ dip is purely a listening position problem. Listening position is compelled to be in the middle of a ~20*25 room thus the null of the 2nd harmonics 80-100. I don't know about the 700-900 dip...moving the mic lessened it and moved its center slightly but never fully removed it.

Note the 43hz extension. The RCH which is loaded into a corner gets smoothly to 40 and then rolls of smoothly. The LCH loads into a hallway and drops off quickly after 45 hz.

I'm impressed...the extension of a MLTL without BSC and with all the dynamics of a BLH. I havent yet built the triangle reflectors...currently using a footlocker as a substitute in the RCH.

Sean
Old 5th August 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Austin 166's in Austin

Quote:
[i]
pics

and

Sean [/B]
Sean, let me be the first one to say "wow".

Where did u get the plan?, would like to follow the thread and maybe more pics if u modify more...
Old 5th August 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the compliment.

The design is the Austin Rev G designed by Ron (who also designed the A126 and the Dallas). It can be found at:

www.FullRangeDriver.com

There are a few threads on it.

The plans are in the gallery there under "Austin Rev G BLH for Fostex FE166E driver". Ron suggests a few alteration's from the plan. One is the trapezoidal baffle that you see (though it should have 2inch extensions trailing backward that I haven't doen yet), its taken from the Austin II (you might find the plans under layertone austin on the fullrangedriver forum- not the gallery). The other is detaching the rear triangular prism deflectors, which I have yet to build.

Sean
Old 7th August 2006, 11:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've also built a pair of these - without the extended baffle and with just one bass reflector for now.

They sound delicious and the bass is definitely there.

Next job is to build the second bass reflector and put both speakers on marble slabs - I have partition floors and the speakers are still shaking the floor by the listening seat...

How are you going to finish them? I used shellac which was far too much work...

Steve
Old 7th August 2006, 03:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think I remember seeing pics of yours up on fullrangedriver a while back. I used shellac on my previous cabs, these have much more surface area and I think I'll do a simple wipe-on poly.

I have been having vibration issues with everything on the back wall, and my turntable on the sidewall. Now I need to build a decent turntable base .

Sean
Old 13th August 2006, 04:41 AM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad yall like the design.
ron
Old 13th August 2006, 05:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ron,

Glad to see you joined diyaudio.

Josh
Old 13th August 2006, 05:56 AM   #8
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad ta be here. I had real problems with my last puter and linking to this forum. But the last puter died of virus content.
The new puter has no problems. Only problem is i lost the majority of my CAD files, so i have been attempting to re-create the designs. I did not lose the acoustic programs however.

On the A166, i would recommend the supra baffle (name coined by Dave) and the deflectors to achieve proper performance.
ron
Old 13th August 2006, 07:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I had some friends over tonight and listened to Calexico's "Things fall apart." I never did enjoy the last track until I got the extension that these provide.

Ron, I was wondering according to your model what should be the max SPL at x-max in the 40hz area with corner loading? I have been shocked by the cone control and concomitant bass SPL that these are capable of.

Sean
Old 13th August 2006, 09:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to layertone
> I have been shocked by the cone control and concomitant bass SPL that these are capable of.

I'm still shocked by Ron's Austin IIs!!! The cone barely moves and the lows are very present - very perplexing because the cone movement doesn't really match the big output! Absolutely addicting & mind-boggling!

Working on a "layertone" version of the Frugel, really want to build another Austin II; think this time it'll be painted

Thank you Ron (repeating myself again)!

Tony

Hide this!Advertise here!