Could anyone help a novice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know nothing about the concept of full range speakers and wonder if any of you guys would be bothered sharing some of your expertise to help a rank novice?
I ended up here a few days ago after trawling the net looking for info on monitors for my little studio. I thought I would like to look at little Tannoys DCsor something and saw a pair of Coral speakers. I thought they looked interesting and they lead me here.
I guess my question is this: (Please forgive me if these are stupid questions, this is the limit of my knowledge)
Is your goal accuracy? or beautiful sound? or both? or are they the same thing? And do you think any of these enclosure types would be suitable for a small room, 3.5 x 4.5 metres? and if so any suggestions on what speakers to look for etc.
I would appreciate any help i can get. Thanks
Colin

No expert but here goes..

fullrange/widerange do something better than 2-3-4 way speakers.

They seem to be more coherrent. All the sound seems to be at the same time and even a simple 4" paper cone fullranges can sound quite good.

most fullranges have limited capabilites at the frequency extremes which is why some of us mate them to subwoofers and tweeters or both yet most fullranges can provide a surisingly natural sound.

One idea you could consider is the reference project thread on this forum. I gather it involves using the Fostex 127. Another are the ML-TL threads and the mini monitor threads.

there are other fullrange driver forums (google) on the net. Favourite fullrange manufacturers are Jordan, Fostex, Supravox, Fertin, Veravox, Lowther etc..

In near field I belive the fullrange is even better.

The details I leave to the gurus as my knowledge here is very very limted.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sunnycue,
The goal is a "standard" speaker used in other recording studios. Yamaha NS-10M is one model. This is so your mix will sound the same to another engineer. The Auratone (awfultone) is a full range standard. There is no standard for studio mains. That info pertains to North America. I've heard of other speakers being used, but all the big studios in music use the same near field monitors.

Knock about the studio scene in Britain and go for a standard. The rest is nonsense for your use. (It isn't your living room).

-Chris

Thanks Chris.
Yes I've got NS10Ms,used them for years (awful speakers) with a Yamaha sub and also pair of Infinity RS9s. Many years ago I used Tannoy little golds in a studio I used to work in and I like the single point source. auratones (Horrortones we call them) are good for referencing but I need a more extended range. Tannoys are so expensive here (Sydney Australia) I was just looking around for alternatives. Guess I was fascinated with the response you guys seem to be getting from single small drivers in enclosures that I'd only seen used in a PA situation - folded horns etc. And they look so good! I've never built any speakers before but I may have to embark on a project even if it is for my living room.

Thanks for your time

Colin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Colin,
Gee, sorry. I thought you were in Gt Britain. Duh! :cannotbe:

So you are setting up a studio main monitor situation then. NS-10M's are not the best, but everyone has them. And that's what they are for.

I'd say, experiment until you find something you like. A set of JBL's won't cut it (can't eq them flat anyway). With this it is your taste, so go for what you like. The best thing to do is build a few. Don't worry too much about getting it right the first time. You will make errors, don't worry about that too much.

There are a few members that are very knowledgeable. Just tell them what your specs are.

If only they would drop in ...... any time now fellas ...............

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These guys are one of the leading proponents of great sounding full-ranges for monitoring application... you'll get some good background and idea....

http://www.eclipse-td.com/e03_concept/index.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For a small mixing monitor, Fostex FE127e, Jordan JX92, NeoPhone, CSS FR125, and any number of other small 4-5" full-ranges would be good candidates. I'd tend away from horns unless your room can be specifically taylored to support them (that would open up FE108eS & FE126e).

I just sold a set of miniOnkens with FR125 into a (video) monitoring situation, and a set of Fonkens would be my personal 1st choice.

dave

Thanks Dave, Chris and Navin,

I appreciate the info.
there a lot of info on that eclipse site but they are way too rich for me. I think I will look at the Fostex FE127e's. Now I feel I have somewhere to start. I have found some here in Sydney. Though I notice there are some that are modded and paired which sounds like a good idea. And I'm looking for info on the Fonkens. So thanks for the tips. Really appreciate you taking the time .
Colin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.