sheilding a fe108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2006, 01:52 AM   #1
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default sheilding a fe108

Hello all,
I'm wanting to use a fe108ez on top of a TV, how easy is it to make it so the magnet doesn't effect the screen?, and how do you go about it? Thanks Dave
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'd probably have to put some form of can round the magnet, though that'd be tricky. Other thoughts guys?
Old 3rd August 2006, 09:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

This has been discussed before, and the concensus was that you would need a metal can and a bucking magnet. A search might reveal more.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th August 2006, 01:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

However, be aware that adding a bucking magnet will change the T/S parameters. The reported usual effect is to get Q higher than without the magnet.

Gastón
Old 9th August 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Dave, we missed you at the diyFEST this last WE... are your BIBs ready to listen to yet?

You can come up to the mountain and we can search out a magnet you can use for bucking... as mentioned it will change the T/S a bit, but from the measures i've seen on other drivers, probably less than normal unit-to-unit variation. The can over the top tightens the coupling, but is incremental after getting the bucking magnet on.

dave
Old 9th August 2006, 07:31 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

or just use a '127 - save the 108 for music
Old 10th August 2006, 03:33 PM   #7
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help everyone,
I did some research and found out that I could just shield the cabinet on the side(s) that are closest to the tv etc. Also there is some kinda tape called Mu Metal I think that you can wrap the magnet with. The reason I wanted to use a 108 for center is to keep all the front speakers the same and for the 108's amazing clarity and sq.
Dave and Chris, I guess I was sleeping cause I didn't even realize the fest was happening I did finish the BIB cabs and left Chris a message awile back at Decware but I guess he didn't see it. They sound wonderful even the wife thinks they sound really good and doesn't turn off the music like she used too. I'd love for you guys to hear them and see what you think I could bring them by sometime if you want. Dave
Old 10th August 2006, 03:46 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

probably best to hear them in your environment (first) - call Dave to arrange something soon.

cheers
Old 10th August 2006, 06:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Mu Metal is a very soft magnetic alloy, very expensive. I don't know if it's available in foils or thin sheet form. Its soft magnetic properties are esily altered by shock and other mechanical stresses. Is/used to be the magnetic shields for analog oscilloscope CRTs, and the usual recommendation was not to drop or let the shield suffer impacts lunless you wanted to have the shielding properties lost to some extent.

If you plan to wrap the magnet of a driver with a sheet of magnetic properties to protect/shield surrounding sensitive devices, be careful not to short circuit the magnet. This is, a can/metal piece that goes from the end of a bucking magnet to the frame of the driver is OK. The same piece, without the bucking magnet will short circuit the magnet and make the field in the gap be weaker than what it should.

HTH

Gastón
Old 10th August 2006, 06:35 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have some mumetal foil -- i put a couple sheets of it on top of the TV with an unshielded driver on top and it only made a small difference.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!