Enclosures for Fostex FE206 ESR + T90A-EY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't heard them myself, but I know they'll work from a theoretical point of view. They're not isolation rings as such; what they do is mass-load the driver and reduce driver / cabinet compliance to improve transient response. I don't know exactly how much they weigh, but to get the same sort of load with other materials like ply or MDF (as a ring) would need a massive increase in size. Reports on sonic improvements are universally positive. If you can get a pair at a decent price, I reckon it'd be worth it. Alternatively, get the local metal-workers to machine a couple for you. Might be even cheaper. Proper bracing and / or doubling the panels should bring dividends too of course.

Sierra, if I remember correctly, Bluemenco has tried the brass rings and beacuse of wave launch problems has removed them, big IIRC. I have always been interested in trying them, I feel the added mass would benefit the driver. If you can get them at a resonable cost, I would recommend to use them and they might be of more help on a BIB which has large panels that vibrate. I am new to horn building, so please take this into consideration also.

Update on construction

Long time and no BBS...

Just to give the crew an update on the construction of my cabinets for the FE 206 ESR with a T90A.

In the end, I decided to go with the fostex recommended encloses for the FE 206 ESR and I have found a reputable and perfectionist cabinet maker. Prices were very realistic given the equipment that was used. We also managed to find some decent birch plywood.

Enclosed are a few pics of the building. No idea how they sound yet, I still have to go and collect the boxes in Germany and hook it up onto my system to break-in the loudspeakers.

That's all for now.

I will keep the crew updated on my listening impressions

Just to give a update and a few pictures on the construction of my enclosures for Fostex FE206 ESR and T90A-EX.

The enclosures are now finished and I collected them last week in Germany. The quality of the work is outstanding. The cabinet maker (his name is Rolf Urbanke) that built them is specialized in one-off loudspeaker design and he has a CNC machine so once the CAD work has been done, the precision of his work is outstanding. dowels and glue were used to connect the different panels together. enclosures are finished with a "hard oil" from a german company called "CLOU".

The speaker terminal plates were made of plywood as well. For fixing the loudspeakers to the enclosure, he used high quality brass threaded inserts and even went to the trouble to buy a 150$ special insertion tool to prevent the insert of being damaged while driving it into the wood.

I don't want to make a "commercial" post but I think it is important to recognize someone's work, dedication and attention to details when it is well above the usual standards. I am extremely fussy about craftmanship and this is definitely someone I will give priority for my future loudspeaker or furniture projects.

you can check his work by googling "rolf urbanke".

I will try to post some pictures of the work.

Sierra

Attachments

• fostex enclosure - build 10.jpg
    fostex enclosure - build 10.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 508
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.