Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2006, 11:45 PM   #1
hersh is offline hersh  France
diyAudio Member

Default Cornu Spiral Copy Horn

Well hello again everybody

I posted a while ago (the original post is here), asking for advice in choosing a project to go with a T-Amp. I had a lot of nice replys, and even decided on a project in the end (thanks again to everybody). But then i stumbled on the Cornu Spiral Horns, and lost all logical reason. I just fell in love with their looks.

Well, two months (and a lot of sleepless nights) later, here are the results :

Click the image to open in full size.

They are 70 x 70 x 16 cm in size, and house the Monacor SP-50X drivers. Everything is in lacquered wood, and glued together (no bolts or other).
They produce more bass than i would have asked for, and sound just wonderful (but lack some mids with vocal stuff) with the modded T-Amp, that in turn amplifies an iPod. As the T-Amp got 5 new caps in it (Black Gate & Elna), i presume that they'll take some time to settle in and will even out the sound over time. I don't know if the Monacors need to be "driven in" the same way ? In any case i'm wildly happy with them, and am sure that by carefully placing them will find the "perfect sound" for me (that already happens with certain tracks, mainly electronic)

I just wanted to keep you updated on my project as i promised you to do, and should you wish to find out more details (and many photos) about the project, i made a small blog around my few diy adventures to date (i'll still have to add a page about headphone amps). You can find it here -->
http://sebastian-pitkanen.blogspot.com/

Cheers again, and here's a few more pics :

Old 2nd August 2006, 01:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very nice, congrats

Josh
Old 2nd August 2006, 06:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
hersh,

Nice work! I didn't realize those things had 2 spirals for each speaker. That really is a lot of work (beers). l love the mouth spread all around the sides and I'm planning to use that approach for some very compact floor-standers. It sounds almost like the horn portion is a little more efficient than necessary, which is good news for me as my total horn volume will be quite a bit less than yours

I do have a question about the sound. Do you feel that the sonic projection via the horn being all around the speaker lead to a larger sounding image than a normal speaker? ie How big do they sound in relation to that small driver?
Old 2nd August 2006, 07:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Very nice work indeed. Quite art deco actually. Good job there hersh! Wish my woodworking was up to that standard!
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
hersh is offline hersh  France
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
I do have a question about the sound. Do you feel that the sonic projection via the horn being all around the speaker lead to a larger sounding image than a normal speaker? ie How big do they sound in relation to that small driver?
I sure do feel it. The sound is clearly projected all around, and gives it this "airy" impression. They do have a particular sound in this respect, a "presence", that floats around. And they do sound *big*. That, yes. Really. But i'm not really in the best of conditions with them yet, as i've still to place them ideally.

I think to swap for the FE108EZ drivers in near future, which Daniel said sound dramatically better. I can only imagine the results
Old 2nd August 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I've got 4 pairs of 108EZ. So far one pair OB with bass augmentation that sounds great, just can't apply more than a few watts. Another pair in the recommended Fostex horn, which sounds really nice, just not enough of that true single driver sound with the horn mouth facing forward. I'll do a set of the Frugel horns once more builds are done and the group has it fully tweaked, so once I build my Tombstone design I'll have a lot of comparisons. Your report of the large sound is very encouraging that I'm on the right track with my latest plan for the Tombstone with the horn mouth around the sides and top of the cab.
Old 9th September 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to KimBOlesen
Hi

Nice work

Did you calculate the horn layout yourself or did you copy it from a photo?

I made a "simple layer" a while ago (micro-io.dk) ... But is the two-layer better ? the extra plate might stiffen the thin walls, but i think the only reason that cornu made the layer in the middle is that it is easyer to produce, as it only has one spiral that holds the spiralwalls. In the "simple-layer" the spiralwalls has to fit the spiral cutout in both top and bottom.. and that is nearly impossible!

The Cornu and your speaker has a chamber that starts with a horn split in two and at a later point is split into two again, this will make the lenght off one half off the horn a longer than the other half. Is this notisable in the sound ?

Best regards

Kim Olesen
Old 18th January 2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Ang is offline Ang  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Hersh,

Congrats on those beautiful speakers - if you have any advice to offer me on a related project here I'd appreciate it.

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/vie....php?pid=11275
Old 28th March 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi guys - I guess this topic is still active even though it has been awhile since anyone posted.
I have viewed and read a lot on the Cornu Spiral and its derivatives (on this site and elsewhere) and have found 2 versions. Can anyone tell me please, why the difference between the two designs of spiral horn. One (the original version I believe), has 4 spirals, whilst the later model has a center plate and 8 spirals - albeit those 8 are half the depth of the 4. Was this 8 horn version designed to 'ease' construction, or was it a fundamental update to improve upon the sound qualities?
I am considering taking up the router and undecided which version . . . . 4 or 8 horn . . . .. !
cambshiregordon
Old 4th April 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Speed is offline Speed  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Router Bit Suggestion

Great work! This idea has always intrigued me. I saw the construction and immediately thought of the router bits I bought to build my cedar strip canoe. They would greatly simplify the construction of the tight corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg flutebd_04.jpg.jpeg (6.1 KB, 1337 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!