Phase plugs - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2006, 06:17 PM   #31
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Guys,

I must apologize, i missed the link to Bob's report and my post just after (now deleted) must have been a bit strange.

It is important to keep in mind that the FT-1600 incorporates a filter.

I look forward to the 2nd part of the report (hinted at in private mail from Bob) where a revisit of the filter yields some interesting results (from the plot Bob sent me i extrapolate/guess that the phase plugs and the filter tackle some of the same problems, and with phase plugs + filter some of the issues with the FE167 raw get compensated for twice).

dave
Old 23rd July 2006, 07:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

The FT-1600 speakers I used do indeed have a BSC filter. It is 1.5mH || 6 ohms. The effect of this filter is to set all frequencies above 200-300 Hz down something like 4 dB. This has no effect on the phase plug modification, as can be seen in the 0deg and 10deg plots. The level of these on-axis plots are unchanged out to 13kHz or so.

There are several things I need to look at:

1. Add a zobel to the filter. This will reduce the output at the high end, particularly 5kHz and up. This should reduce sibilance like the phase plugs do, but through a different mechanism. The zobel is electrical while the phase plugs are mechanical. What difference will that make on the sound?

2. Play with the size and shape of the phase plugs. Is there an optimum configuration for phase plugs in this driver?

3. Use phase plugs or electrical filters to reduce the highs, then add a tweeter. Will this give a better overall sound? Maybe go as far as a 2nd order XO around 6kHz or so.

Lots of possibilities.

Bob
Old 6th August 2006, 06:59 PM   #33
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default a report back on fe167e w/ phase plugs..

I installed Dave's plugs in my fe167e's in small BR cabs, I was waiting for my stands to be done so I could try in bedroom system, but couldn't wait. Put them in main, on very high end DIY stands. I can say this........ shout is reduced ALOT.!!!!!!! imaging is better & more real than ever, bottom is supported by a pair of active class D subs set half hazardly aroubd 100hz or so, this is wher they shine,....if you bing a good quck sub set high on these they just do every thing wonderfull, bottom is tighter with or without subs, strange........, but very audible, not more bass or slam just more REAL bass & very tight & very fast, faster than before, vocals, are less tipped & shouty....actually alot less tipped & shouty..locating these speakers now is impossible..........Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the pleasant sound of natural highs & none of the over the top compression crap!!!!!!!!!I do NOT run a BSC & feel no need, but might try it some day for the heck of it. also now much smother than before.....for the $ the plugs installed can't be beat, be carefully on the surgery of dust caps,have someone else do it if your the shakey type.........*s*. My main speakers are in the bedroom for now & just might stay there.... a very REAL possibility.. Not pimpin for Dave, don't even know the guy, just a very worth while mod on fe167e's.......
J & G
Old 6th August 2006, 10:50 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
The FT-1600 speakers I used do indeed have a BSC filter. It is 1.5mH || 6 ohms. The effect of this filter is to set all frequencies above 200-300 Hz down something like 4 dB. This has no effect on the phase plug modification, as can be seen in the 0deg and 10deg plots. The level of these on-axis plots are unchanged out to 13kHz or so.

There are several things I need to look at:

1. Add a zobel to the filter. This will reduce the output at the high end, particularly 5kHz and up. This should reduce sibilance like the phase plugs do, but through a different mechanism. The zobel is electrical while the phase plugs are mechanical. What difference will that make on the sound?

2. Play with the size and shape of the phase plugs. Is there an optimum configuration for phase plugs in this driver?

3. Use phase plugs or electrical filters to reduce the highs, then add a tweeter. Will this give a better overall sound? Maybe go as far as a 2nd order XO around 6kHz or so.

Lots of possibilities.

Bob

A few questions Bob( bear in mind that that I haven't read all your listening report) ;
-what type of amp are you using for listening/measuring purposes?
-have you listened without BSC after adding the phase plugs?
- ever experimented with cone treatment?

disclosure:

I've been closely associated with Dave for the past several years, and have participated in the design process of several of the speaker enclosures posted on his site, and constructed more than a few of the prototypes shown.
While it's hard to play the DIY hobby for long without establishing some strong personal opinions, I try to keep my forum posts as objective as possible.
However, catch me at a trade show or "geekfest" after a long day and a few wobbly-pops and the guard might slip a little
Old 7th August 2006, 04:22 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

A few questions Bob( bear in mind that that I haven't read all your listening report) ;
-what type of amp are you using for listening/measuring purposes?
For listening, I use a Yamaha HT receiver and a 6BX7 PP amp. For measuring, I use a Sanyo chip amp salvaged from a pair of computer speakers and a Beringer EMC8000 mic, but it really doesn't make any difference what amp I use since SoundEasy zeros out the amp FR anyway.

Quote:
-have you listened without BSC after adding the phase plugs?
Well, no, but as you can see from the before/after plots, the phase plugs make not difference below 2kHz, so BSC is a mute point. the top/bottom balance is going to have to be addressed with either a BSC step filter or DSP EQ regardless of whether the phas plugs ar installed or not.

Quote:
- ever experimented with cone treatment?
No, and I should. I suspect that the 2kHz peak that most full-rangers have might be fixable with cone doping similar to what Dave is doing with the 126/127's.

Just in case anyone missed it, my final impression of the phase plug mod to the FE167E's in my FT-1600 cabinet is that the phase plugs soften the sound, reduce sibulance and give the speakers a somewhat warm sound. I just received a personal email from one of my customers that states the same opinion. It's a good mod and I endorse the Planet-10 phase plugs.

Bob
Old 15th August 2006, 06:37 PM   #36
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Shapes and sizes

I made the first attempt at this plug. I based it on an extension of the plug I used for the fe103. That design was arrived at by listening to various plug shapes and sizes. A bit teadious but it worked.
If someone is willing to do the testing I am will to make a few prototypes in an attempt to optimise the shape.
Old 16th August 2006, 10:01 PM   #37
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

How come a professional forester makes such iddy biddy litlle things from wood?

What do you do with the rest of the tree?
Old 16th August 2006, 10:19 PM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
What do you do with the rest of the tree?

You have to see his house...
Old 17th August 2006, 02:29 AM   #39
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

You have to see his house...
I'd like to, in fact I'm hoping to get some pictures emailed to me from "Rocky" (the forester formerly known as SCD). We had a lengthy conversation up on the mountain of Planet 10 about remodelling and stone work.
Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 17th August 2006, 03:18 AM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

officially a picture of a Scott-made wooden boat, we do see a bit of the house...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottd-house.jpg (49.7 KB, 511 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!