Building full range open baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glowbug said:
Which woofers would you suggest?

I read a previous thread on here where Peerless SLS's were recommended: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4932990.29248&pid=1946 but the Q seems a bit low.

From my experience the Peerless SLS drivers don`t have the punch to match a good fullranger. On an other forum I read about a similar experience with large Eminence drivers.
Here is something with less Mms:
http://www.teleprodottistore.it/shop/ciare/cw250.pdf

Martin,

Am I reading this correctly? A fairly flat response down to about 50hz @95db efficiency, using one Alpha15 and no eq? Im assuming the 2db boost is the woofer amp operating at higher output than the Fostexs' amp or does the crossover have boost?

amt

Attachments

• obgraph.jpg
    obgraph.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 970
The only thing that bothers me about the 15" Silver Iris's is the fact that people are saying the 10's are "faster"...now, I've been around this sort of thing long enough to know that inductance plays a larger part in transient response than Mms does, so what's going on here?
Jim,

I was just reading this and thought I'd reply. I mentioned the 10" SI drivers as being "faster" sounding.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206

That was just a day after receiving them to break in. After a few weeks of listening, I would call the sound "leaner", not "faster". At this point, I actually prefer the sound of the 15 SI's. The mids are better, to my hearing. I haven't designed perfectly matching Xo's for the 10's yet, so maybe they will be better then. Remember, at this points, the 10's may not be the final product. Changes could be made. Won't know until I get around to making a Xo and listen some more. The two drivers do sound more alike than different, though. The difference is small. The 15's have a bit more powerful sound when pushed, as is to be expected.
In a narrow open baffle, there is nothing lacking in the transient department of the 15 SI coaxials. I just heard Darrel's system the other day. In a large living room, the sound was fantastic! It's still good in my room, but you can really hear the difference. I'm looking into room treatment to absorb rear reflections. I have a noticable bass bump in the 80-100 Hz range with all the speakers I've listened to in this room. Makes it hard to do good evaluations.

Dave:)

I noticed that the worksheet for the Fe167 + Alpha 15 is gone. Sadly, I forgot to save the pdf file. So I checked Martins website to see if it might be there and I see he has tried the Alphas and likes them better than the more expensive Daytons! Great!

Im thinking of using just a single Alpha with my Fe166ESRs and the Behringer. Wonder if the baffle could be made just taller to accomodate two Alphas if I decided to go that route? Martins baffle is way too big for my room. Im guessing that the higher Qts would allow the narrower baffle.

amt

Ping Martin King! :^) Comments on This?

amt said:
I noticed that the worksheet for the Fe167 + Alpha 15 is gone. Sadly, I forgot to save the pdf file. So I checked Martins website to see if it might be there and I see he has tried the Alphas and likes them better than the more expensive Daytons! Great!

Im thinking of using just a single Alpha with my Fe166ESRs and the Behringer. Wonder if the baffle could be made just taller to accomodate two Alphas if I decided to go that route? Martins baffle is way too big for my room. Im guessing that the higher Qts would allow the narrower baffle.

amt

Hi,

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. Could be awesome.

And perhaps one could put wings on a narrower baffle, not parallel, to restore bass to a narrower design?

What do you think, Martin?

And could you give us an update/summary on your Project 7? How do you think it's oveall sound compares to your other projects? Do you like it? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.