Building full range open baffle? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2006, 06:54 AM   #21
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glowbug
Which woofers would you suggest?

I read a previous thread on here where Peerless SLS's were recommended: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...29248&pid=1946 but the Q seems a bit low.

From my experience the Peerless SLS drivers don`t have the punch to match a good fullranger. On an other forum I read about a similar experience with large Eminence drivers.
Here is something with less Mms:
http://www.teleprodottistore.it/shop/ciare/cw250.pdf
Old 23rd July 2006, 10:31 PM   #22
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Martin,

Am I reading this correctly? A fairly flat response down to about 50hz @95db efficiency, using one Alpha15 and no eq? Im assuming the 2db boost is the woofer amp operating at higher output than the Fostexs' amp or does the crossover have boost?

amt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obgraph.jpg (35.3 KB, 913 views)
Old 24th July 2006, 12:34 AM   #23
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Am I reading this correctly?
You are reading correctly.

Quote:
does the crossover have boost?
The crossover has a boost applied, the Behringer unit can go +/- 6 dB if I am reading the manual correctly. My dBx Driverack PA also has a boost capability.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:06 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me about the 15" Silver Iris's is the fact that people are saying the 10's are "faster"...now, I've been around this sort of thing long enough to know that inductance plays a larger part in transient response than Mms does, so what's going on here?
Jim,

I was just reading this and thought I'd reply. I mentioned the 10" SI drivers as being "faster" sounding.

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206

That was just a day after receiving them to break in. After a few weeks of listening, I would call the sound "leaner", not "faster". At this point, I actually prefer the sound of the 15 SI's. The mids are better, to my hearing. I haven't designed perfectly matching Xo's for the 10's yet, so maybe they will be better then. Remember, at this points, the 10's may not be the final product. Changes could be made. Won't know until I get around to making a Xo and listen some more. The two drivers do sound more alike than different, though. The difference is small. The 15's have a bit more powerful sound when pushed, as is to be expected.
In a narrow open baffle, there is nothing lacking in the transient department of the 15 SI coaxials. I just heard Darrel's system the other day. In a large living room, the sound was fantastic! It's still good in my room, but you can really hear the difference. I'm looking into room treatment to absorb rear reflections. I have a noticable bass bump in the 80-100 Hz range with all the speakers I've listened to in this room. Makes it hard to do good evaluations.

Dave
Old 26th July 2006, 11:23 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Dave,

Have you tried your 15's outside yet? My at the beach listening with the speakers about 15ft in front of a wall and 12-15ft apart is the best concert sound I've ever had. My well treated room can't touch it.
Old 27th July 2006, 02:27 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

John,

I live in town. My neighbors might not appreciate the outside "noise". I do think room treatment will help, but I know there is no substitute for a big open space. I just need to fool the SI's into thinking the room's bigger.

Dave
Old 4th September 2006, 05:00 AM   #27
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

I noticed that the worksheet for the Fe167 + Alpha 15 is gone. Sadly, I forgot to save the pdf file. So I checked Martins website to see if it might be there and I see he has tried the Alphas and likes them better than the more expensive Daytons! Great!

Im thinking of using just a single Alpha with my Fe166ESRs and the Behringer. Wonder if the baffle could be made just taller to accomodate two Alphas if I decided to go that route? Martins baffle is way too big for my room. Im guessing that the higher Qts would allow the narrower baffle.

amt
Old 22nd January 2007, 10:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Ping Martin King! :^) Comments on This?

Quote:
Originally posted by amt
I noticed that the worksheet for the Fe167 + Alpha 15 is gone. Sadly, I forgot to save the pdf file. So I checked Martins website to see if it might be there and I see he has tried the Alphas and likes them better than the more expensive Daytons! Great!

Im thinking of using just a single Alpha with my Fe166ESRs and the Behringer. Wonder if the baffle could be made just taller to accomodate two Alphas if I decided to go that route? Martins baffle is way too big for my room. Im guessing that the higher Qts would allow the narrower baffle.

amt
Hi,

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. Could be awesome.

And perhaps one could put wings on a narrower baffle, not parallel, to restore bass to a narrower design?

What do you think, Martin?

And could you give us an update/summary on your Project 7? How do you think it's oveall sound compares to your other projects? Do you like it? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!

George

Hide this!Advertise here!