Jordan JXR6HD in german DIY magazine Klang&Ton - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
stefanK is offline stefanK  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JXR6HD in german DIY magazine Klang&Ton

Hi,

the german DIY magazine has published an implementation of the Jordan JXR6HD in a two way box in D'Appolito arrangement using two Visaton 5" aluminium drivers as bass department crossed over at 500 Hz. You can see it here:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...ifi/minium.htm

I have not heard this box up to now, but looks quite promising...

Best regards, Stefan
Old 20th July 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting, though as my German is almost exactly 0, I'll have to guess some of the description. I wonder why they chose to crossover at such a high freq - power handling?

However the bass driver is a useful lead to what will integrate with the JXR6.
Old 20th July 2006, 09:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default english version available

Hi,

here is the link to the english version:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/engli.../minium_en.htm

best, LC
Old 20th July 2006, 03:45 PM   #4
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would be more interested in how the little Jordan performs solo in hm`s double horn.
http://www.hm-moreart.de/105.htm
Old 20th July 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol
I would be more interested in how the little Jordan performs solo in hm`s double horn.
http://www.hm-moreart.de/105.htm
Using the 50mm Jordan driver by itself is IMO short-changing it. It certainly is not a recommended implementation.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:28 PM   #6
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

This is the second time now I've seen someone describe the JXR 6 as having less depth. (..Colin were you the other person?)

I've described already why it would have more width..

but why not more depth?

I think its likely to do with the interaction of the frame and surrounding area (compression and airflow resistance). A good wave guide starting "in front" of the magnet and effectivly wraping around the frame spokes should do the trick.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Looks interesting, though as my German is almost exactly 0, I'll have to guess some of the description. I wonder why they chose to crossover at such a high freq - power handling?
"Due to the small size the Jordan JXR 6 HD is not capable of producing low bass at an adequate level[.]"

BTW I think that having a published design, with widely available drivers and easily built passive xover (and now in kit form), will make a lot more people interested in the Jordan driver. AFAIK it's something that has been missing up to this point.
Old 21st July 2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can only comment on the JXR6's imaging WRT my JX92 MLTL set up, which images superbly well down to bass frequencies. At the moment I have the JCR6 in ceramic enclosures with a possible defraction problem at the edges (the sides are proud of the baffle). I'll try something else soon. Ted Jordan mentioned that the narrower driver is probably why a pair image differently from the JX92 - they're less directional, something that the linear array is intended to address. Putting them on a wider baffle might help things. But that's not to say that they image poorly they're still very good.

Used on their own, they do remarkably well to 100Hz but I agree you couldn't use them at high volumes like that. Given that the old JX53 crossed at 500Hz, first order, and had a higher resonant freq, I'd have thought you could have used the JXR6 to 250 or 300Hz without problems. The JX53 went very loud, in the right system (as I found out when I sold the loudspeakers to someone with a more powerful amp than me).

Thanks for the English translation. Missed that.
Old 28th July 2006, 02:22 PM   #9
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi threaders,

This thread piqued my interest. Would anyone mind coming at this from a "design" perspective?

There are a number of variables that should be considered when designing a loudspeaker. Some of those variables will have an impact upon imaging (width and depth).

One variable is the stop band performance of the woofer. Few small diameter metal coned woofers have a nice and controlled high frequency roll-off. Most "peak" with many "valleys" before finally rolling off.

From the parts list, it is possible that the German design is a complementary second order crossover. If so, and the woofers' stop band performance is less than ideal, then the woofers are going to be very important to the imaging and clarity of the final sound.

In addition, the bad characteristics of high slope crossovers are less troubling at lower frequencies. Indeed, if they help control stop band woofer problems, they can sound better. They also allow for power inputs more consistent with transducer thermal limits than excursion or Xmax limits.

Also, there is some concern about max SPL with a small diameter extended range driver. There are some guides or specifications to allow comparison of max SPL. For example, one spec takes RMS power at the five % distortion rating of a driver at a set distance at Fs or Fo. Combine this max power input with sensitivity and you get a max SPL. Simple answer then to the question, Is this loud enough for me?

To wrap this all up, this is a diy forum. We do not have to take any particular article or design as our own optimum. And I don't know about you, but I believe I can do better than what was referenced here.

Best and all of that,

Mark
Old 28th July 2006, 06:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkMcK
Hi threaders,

This thread piqued my interest. Would anyone mind coming at this from a "design" perspective?

There are a number of variables that should be considered when designing a loudspeaker. Some of those variables will have an impact upon imaging (width and depth).

One variable is the stop band performance of the woofer. Few small diameter metal coned woofers have a nice and controlled high frequency roll-off. Most "peak" with many "valleys" before finally rolling off.

From the parts list, it is possible that the German design is a complementary second order crossover. If so, and the woofers' stop band performance is less than ideal, then the woofers are going to be very important to the imaging and clarity of the final sound.

In addition, the bad characteristics of high slope crossovers are less troubling at lower frequencies. Indeed, if they help control stop band woofer problems, they can sound better. They also allow for power inputs more consistent with transducer thermal limits than excursion or Xmax limits.

Also, there is some concern about max SPL with a small diameter extended range driver. There are some guides or specifications to allow comparison of max SPL. For example, one spec takes RMS power at the five % distortion rating of a driver at a set distance at Fs or Fo. Combine this max power input with sensitivity and you get a max SPL. Simple answer then to the question, Is this loud enough for me?

To wrap this all up, this is a diy forum. We do not have to take any particular article or design as our own optimum. And I don't know about you, but I believe I can do better than what was referenced here.

Best and all of that,

Mark
So what's your point?

Hide this!Advertise here!