diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Jordan JXR6HD in german DIY magazine Klang&Ton (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/83353-jordan-jxr6hd-german-diy-magazine-klang-ton.html)

stefanK 18th July 2006 11:56 AM

Jordan JXR6HD in german DIY magazine Klang&Ton

Hi,

the german DIY magazine has published an implementation of the Jordan JXR6HD in a two way box in D'Appolito arrangement using two Visaton 5" aluminium drivers as bass department crossed over at 500 Hz. You can see it here:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/...ifi/minium.htm

I have not heard this box up to now, but looks quite promising...

Best regards, Stefan

Colin 20th July 2006 09:45 AM

Looks interesting, though as my German is almost exactly 0, I'll have to guess some of the description. I wonder why they chose to crossover at such a high freq - power handling?

However the bass driver is a useful lead to what will integrate with the JXR6.

lovechild 20th July 2006 09:59 AM

english version available

Hi,

here is the link to the english version:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/engli.../minium_en.htm

best, LC

el`Ol 20th July 2006 03:45 PM

I would be more interested in how the little Jordan performs solo in hm`s double horn.
http://www.hm-moreart.de/105.htm

Dumbass 20th July 2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by el`Ol
I would be more interested in how the little Jordan performs solo in hm`s double horn.
http://www.hm-moreart.de/105.htm

Using the 50mm Jordan driver by itself is IMO short-changing it. It certainly is not a recommended implementation.

ScottG 20th July 2006 06:28 PM

This is the second time now I've seen someone describe the JXR 6 as having less depth. (..Colin were you the other person?)

I've described already why it would have more width..

but why not more depth?

I think its likely to do with the interaction of the frame and surrounding area (compression and airflow resistance). A good wave guide starting "in front" of the magnet and effectivly wraping around the frame spokes should do the trick.

Dumbass 20th July 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Colin
Looks interesting, though as my German is almost exactly 0, I'll have to guess some of the description. I wonder why they chose to crossover at such a high freq - power handling?
"Due to the small size the Jordan JXR 6 HD is not capable of producing low bass at an adequate level[.]"

BTW I think that having a published design, with widely available drivers and easily built passive xover (and now in kit form), will make a lot more people interested in the Jordan driver. AFAIK it's something that has been missing up to this point.

Colin 21st July 2006 09:33 AM

I can only comment on the JXR6's imaging WRT my JX92 MLTL set up, which images superbly well down to bass frequencies. At the moment I have the JCR6 in ceramic enclosures with a possible defraction problem at the edges (the sides are proud of the baffle). I'll try something else soon. Ted Jordan mentioned that the narrower driver is probably why a pair image differently from the JX92 - they're less directional, something that the linear array is intended to address. Putting them on a wider baffle might help things. But that's not to say that they image poorly they're still very good.

Used on their own, they do remarkably well to 100Hz but I agree you couldn't use them at high volumes like that. Given that the old JX53 crossed at 500Hz, first order, and had a higher resonant freq, I'd have thought you could have used the JXR6 to 250 or 300Hz without problems. The JX53 went very loud, in the right system (as I found out when I sold the loudspeakers to someone with a more powerful amp than me).

Thanks for the English translation. Missed that.

MarkMcK 28th July 2006 02:22 PM

Hi threaders,

This thread piqued my interest. Would anyone mind coming at this from a "design" perspective?

There are a number of variables that should be considered when designing a loudspeaker. Some of those variables will have an impact upon imaging (width and depth).

One variable is the stop band performance of the woofer. Few small diameter metal coned woofers have a nice and controlled high frequency roll-off. Most "peak" with many "valleys" before finally rolling off.

From the parts list, it is possible that the German design is a complementary second order crossover. If so, and the woofers' stop band performance is less than ideal, then the woofers are going to be very important to the imaging and clarity of the final sound.

In addition, the bad characteristics of high slope crossovers are less troubling at lower frequencies. Indeed, if they help control stop band woofer problems, they can sound better. They also allow for power inputs more consistent with transducer thermal limits than excursion or Xmax limits.

Also, there is some concern about max SPL with a small diameter extended range driver. There are some guides or specifications to allow comparison of max SPL. For example, one spec takes RMS power at the five % distortion rating of a driver at a set distance at Fs or Fo. Combine this max power input with sensitivity and you get a max SPL. Simple answer then to the question, Is this loud enough for me?

To wrap this all up, this is a diy forum. We do not have to take any particular article or design as our own optimum. And I don't know about you, but I believe I can do better than what was referenced here.

Best and all of that,

Mark

Dumbass 28th July 2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MarkMcK
Hi threaders,

This thread piqued my interest. Would anyone mind coming at this from a "design" perspective?

There are a number of variables that should be considered when designing a loudspeaker. Some of those variables will have an impact upon imaging (width and depth).

One variable is the stop band performance of the woofer. Few small diameter metal coned woofers have a nice and controlled high frequency roll-off. Most "peak" with many "valleys" before finally rolling off.

From the parts list, it is possible that the German design is a complementary second order crossover. If so, and the woofers' stop band performance is less than ideal, then the woofers are going to be very important to the imaging and clarity of the final sound.

In addition, the bad characteristics of high slope crossovers are less troubling at lower frequencies. Indeed, if they help control stop band woofer problems, they can sound better. They also allow for power inputs more consistent with transducer thermal limits than excursion or Xmax limits.

Also, there is some concern about max SPL with a small diameter extended range driver. There are some guides or specifications to allow comparison of max SPL. For example, one spec takes RMS power at the five % distortion rating of a driver at a set distance at Fs or Fo. Combine this max power input with sensitivity and you get a max SPL. Simple answer then to the question, Is this loud enough for me?

To wrap this all up, this is a diy forum. We do not have to take any particular article or design as our own optimum. And I don't know about you, but I believe I can do better than what was referenced here.

Best and all of that,

Mark

So what's your point?