Double Bass Reflex. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2006, 02:52 PM   #21
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Logan,

I hope you don't take offense. You are asking me to do work for you. As was discussed several times above, I think you are clearly in the DIY phase of speaker building.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:04 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Nope. No offense taken, but I've always been told it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks
Logan
Old 21st July 2006, 10:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi there lightwave and interested DBers.

I have built DBs based on the fostex design (127) and used different drivers in them as an experiment, overall the DBs work really well, in fact far better than I thought possible.

I have no program for simming and I don't even have the parameters for the drivers I used, they were cheap, but I managed to get there eventually, there are of course many variables, bottom and top chamber size, internal port length/diameter and the bottom port.

Basically I just experimented with everything in sacrificial boxes, in other words i didn't care how trashed the boxes got as they were just prototypes.

So heres an idea make a basic pair of boxes that are larger than you think you'll need and make sure the divider inside the box is not fixed so you can move it up or down, if you make the fit tight enough it should hold for experimenting.

The bottom chamber can be adjusted by using blocks of wood or other solid regular shaped objects or even sand in known quantities. Ports can be adjusted by using cardbaord tubes that can be cut at will.

Try a top port dia of 65mm or so and 60mm lenght, though you will likely not finish with this and adjust the top chamber until the mids/highs sound right, then adjust the volume of the bottom chamber until you start to get some bass happening with a shortish bottom port tube (say 60mm by 60mm), then you can start tuning port lenghts, but don't tune the top one too low say around 100hz or so.

To make it work you will need a CD with some tone sweeps or test tones on it at everything from 20hz through to say 16khz.

I know none of this sounds really scientific, but it will work if you persevere and you will probably end learning a heap about how port lenght and cab size effects the sound.

OH and there are other things that I imagine most simms don't take into account that you can play with too, like distance from the walls/corners, height from the floor, the resonance of the cabs, the type of stuffing you use in the cab, mods to drivers and much more, all these things can have big time effects on the sound IMHO and are likely hard to predict via programs alone.

Go ahead have a play with some cheap drivers and cabs, you have little to lose and a heap to gain.

Programs would I'm sure help a lot in terms of cutting down the time involved and I really admire the guys who have created them, but in the end I'd say they would land you in the ball park and theres no guarentee you will like the way they sound without fine tuning anyway, after all what you and I think sounds good is pretty personal.

Hope it helps.
Old 31st July 2006, 09:56 AM   #24
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I just now discovered this thread, I am glad that some other members also achived unusaly good bass response with DBR. It seems that I accidently made DBR, increasing the volume of my stock hybrid speaker, last week I posted the topic under the speaker page: Apogee C/M mod what I ended with

Apogee C/M Mod what I ended with

I am still curious, how astonishing bass performance achived with 6,5 inch driver.

Best regards
Old 31st July 2006, 10:57 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you sure can get great results, I have had many friends lsten to mine and they have all commented how good the bass was considering the driver size. The thing I like however is that the bass is nicely tight and very tuneable.

Hide this!Advertise here!