Padding crct for 'helper tweeter'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to ask if padding down a 1dB more efficient horn tweeter is 'critical' when used with a dynamic cone wideband driver… The bullet horn tweeter would act as a helper tweeter from ~8-10 kHz. Does it really need to be padded down?

I could either mount both LF and HF drivers on the same plane/baffle and maybe in this context I really need to use an L-pad circuit, OR I could put the tweeter on a separate module to play around w/ the fore and aft positioning on top of the main enclosure and so the atten. circuit would be less of an issue(?). What do you guys think???

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Either way, if the HF needs attenuation... The R2 above is the one that I would need to get the nearest value of ~65 Ohms (for -1dB of attenuation). The value nearest value is pretty hard to find. The largest value I could find is 100 ohms and 82 Ohms, and then below that is already 47 Ohms. The lower the value of R2, the higher attenuation attained. So which value should I choose for best compromise? Is R2 = 82 ohms an ‘okay’ tolerance for slightly < 1dB attenuation?

I have no datasheet for the vintage Fostex cast alumunum bullet horn tweeter (FT-20H) I have and plan to use, and that it is 98dB/1m/1W @ 8 Ohms. The partnering wideband driver would be the Supravox 215 RTF64 (non-bicone). Thanks.

Regards,
fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.